63°

Men’s Basketball Pays Visit to Boston Medical Center

Courtesy of Boston Medical Center

Courtesy of Boston Medical Center

During the Holidays, the UMass Mens’ basketball team put down the basketball, and hung up their kicks to pick up presents and deliver them to patients located in the Paediatric department at Boston Medical Center.

A tradition that began 23 years ago has become an essential part of the Beacons’ program. It is not only a way of giving back, but it also allows the team to come together and do something bigger than winning basketball games.

“I think its a good bonding experience for our team. I think its good for our team to spend some time with kids who are less fortunate,” UMass head coach, Charlie Titus said. “I think that’s always a reminder of how lucky we are and how blessed we are in life and we shouldn’t take that for granted.”

The Beacons partnership with Globe Santa, a non-profit organization associated with the Boston Globe, is a way for the team and UMass to give back to the community. The program was established in order to spread holiday cheer to children in need throughout the Greater Boston area.

“[Globe Santa] provides us with gifts and toys, we take the team over a couple of days before Christmas and we give out gifts, sing carols and hang out with the kids,” Titus said.

The men will return to action on Tues., Feb. 5 at 5:30, for a double-header event that will begin after the grand re-opening of the brand new Clark Center Gym. Faculty, students and staff are welcomed to come enjoy the brand new facilty while the basketball take on the University of Southern Maine.