66°

Queer Student Center to host halloween party

The Queer Student Center, a center to facilitate the educational and social development of Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender, Questioning and Queer, (LGBTQQ) population at the University of Massachusetts Boston, is hosting a Halloween party on Thursday, Oct. 31 at 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the 3rd floor of the Campus Center.
This event is intended to allow UMass Boston students to participate in a holiday related event as well as to learn and immerse themselves in the LGBTQ society.
In addition, the Halloween party also recommends that students wear costumes of all kinds, especially those that do not discriminate against a specific gender. Thus, students are allowed to dress in drag and cross-dress.
“Everyone should wear costumes to add to the Halloween fun. All types of costumes are welcomed. Some people will wear drag, but of course, not everyone. This will allow everyone to engage and be comfortable in his or her own identity. I am really looking forward to all the creatively designed outfits that students will bring to the center,” Cheyenne McGrath, a senior majoring in psychology and minoring in dance, remarked.
The QSC members are going to volunteer and help to decorate the center in orange and black spider webs, bright lights, and other holiday decals. It will be a welcoming and energetic atmosphere for everyone who comes.
McGrath stated, “It’s going to be super fun. There will be amazing costumes and socializing, so I hope that many people will come and bring their friends along. I also hope that we have as large a turnout as the open house earlier this semester.”
“There were no problems in planning and budgeting the event due to everyone’s eager participation. Hopefully, everyone will also be there to decorate the center and help with the food,” McGrath commented.
“I’m really excited for the Halloween party this year. It is a tradition for the Q and unfortunately it was canceled last year due to Hurricane Sandy. It is a great way for members to hang out with each other and a fun way for people who have never been in the space to meet queer friendly people and find out what the Q is all about. Halloween is an opportune time to showcase another facet to who you are, and the Q is the perfect welcoming space for that,” Caroline Kim, a senior at UMass majoring in women studies, responded. 
This will undoubtedly be one of the marquee events this year for the QSC and it looks like will be a great way to celebrate one of America’s most fun holidays.