66°

Bar of the Week: McGreevy’s

The saloon is located near the Hynes Convention Center Station

Originally established all the way back in 1894, McGreevy’s on Boylston Street has the distinction of being the first sports bar in American history. To put it another way, when McGreevy’s first opened, the NFL didn’t exist, and the TV wouldn’t have been invented for another 50 years. The original location was called “McGreevy’s Third Base Saloon” as it was established on the third base side of Fenway Park. The saloon is believed to be the birthplace of the “Royal Rooters,” a small but loyal fan base that would eventually evolve into Red Sox nation.
Fast forward to 2008, when Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys led a group that revived McGreevy’s and opened up the new location on Boylston, near the Berklee College of Music. It’s currently a hot spot where shoppers can sneak away from their ladies and catch a game or student can spend a friday night in the bustling neighborhood. TV’s line all of the walls showing a variety of games on an off day, but if the Sox are in action, forget about it. It’s clear where McGreevy’s allegiances lie.
For a starter, the steak and cheese pizza is the way to go. Topped with mushrooms, steak sauce, and incredibly tender onions, this is the right way to start off your historic meal. For an entree, the mac-n-cheese with buffalo chicken is a pricey but delicious option at $16. The loaded dogs are fantastic, topped with sauerkraut, bacon, onions, pickles, and spicy mustard.
I’d also be remiss not to mention that the warm brownie sundae is a spectacular dessert option. Most sports bars leave desserts as an afterthought but McGreevy’s knocks this one out of the park with fresh chocolate brownies over ice cream, topped with peanuts and hot fudge.
McGreevy’s does have some pretty great specials on game days. They have a great Monday Night Football promotion with half priced starters from 4-7 p.m. and 25-cent wings from 4-11. They also have one dollar cheeseburgers on Tuesday nights and half priced starters Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. The trivia nights on wednesday’s are not for pinkhats but if you know your stuff it’s a great atmosphere.
McGreevy’s has a very special distinction but they don’t just lean on their historical significance as a way to draw people in. The food, prices, and atmosphere are all fantastic and it remains a great place to catch a game in one of the busiest neighborhoods in the city. If you need an escape from a long day of shopping on tourist clogged streets, McGreevy’s is definitely the place to go.