66°

Boston Calling May 2014: Day three recap

This spring’s Boston Calling, Boston’s bi-annual full-scale three-day music festival, wrapped up last Sunday with an incredible lineup of both new and seasoned artists. The final day drew capacity crowds, comprised of all kinds of music lovers. Though most of the artists on the Sunday lineup could easily be classified as alternative, each contributed to the festival by offering up their own unique sound. Each 50-minute set was the perfect amount of time for the performers to play both old favorites and new hits, and the brilliant two-stage system spelled short wait times between acts, which helped to maintain momentum by ensuring that the audience never missed a beat.
Indie acts such as the local folk-rock band Tigerman WOAH!, soulful singer-songwriter Phosphorescent, amongst others, rocked out in the early afternoon, setting the mood for the later performances. Canadian duo Tegan and Sara got the crowd moving with a set that closed out with their smash single “Closer” from their recent album “Heartthrob.” They were immediately followed by the English quartet Bastille whose 90s dance mash-up cover, “Of the Night”, electrified the audience. Their set ended with audience members belting out the lyrics to the band’s hit single “Pompeii.” The audience stayed energized all the way through the closing act, Modest Mouse, who hit the stage to perform songs including “The World at Large” and “Float On.”
After sundown, the vibe was airy and carnival-esque. Even after dark, concertgoers were still packed on the plaza including the elevated VIP area. Some tired souls were perched on the brick steps of the plaza near the aromatic concessions stands, a quieter spot conducive for conversations with friends and strangers alike. Again, concertgoers were lucky enough to evade the rain for a third time, topping off another successfully executed festival.