60°

UMass Boston baseball and softball update

Josh Kotler
A UMass Boston baseball player batting in a game earlier this season. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Just like that, the spring sports season is nearing its end. Still, both the UMass Boston baseball and softball teams still have work to do to make sure they close out the season right. Both teams were busy this past week playing a handful of games as the attention is slowly beginning to shift to the Little East Conference tournament.
Baseball
The baseball team has been aboard the struggle bus as of late as they got their first win in a week this past Saturday. The week started off Monday with a matchup against Roger Williams University where the offense just wasn’t there, as they could only muster two runs as the opposition was able to put up five. On Tuesday against Plymouth State University, the offense was alive and well as it was runs galore as they scored 12 runs, but yet again the Beacons couldn’t hang on as Plymouth State University scored four runs in the ninth inning to end the game at 13–12. Wednesday was a complete bloodbath as Endicott College exploded for 18 runs on just nine hits to take home a 18–3 win. Then finally on Saturday, the Beacons would play a double-header against Rhode Island College in which the Beacons would drop the first matchup 5–3 and win the second matchup 7–5.
So, what does this mean for the Beacons in the standings? The Beacons had a rough week in which they suffered four losses, although just two came against LEC teams, three if you include their loss last Saturday against the University of Southern Maine. But despite the damage done, they are still tied for the top spot in the LEC with one more week to go in the regular season. If the Beacons can rattle off some conference wins this week, they could be back on track to be the lone team atop the LEC standings.
Softball
The UMass Boston softball team had a week in which they played two double-headers. Their first double-header came against Castleton University on Tuesday. Their first matchup started with a flurry of runs from Castleton University as they took an early two-run lead. The Beacons couldn’t keep up with Castleton University offensively as the Beacons would fall 8–3. However, it was a different story in the second game, as the Beacons had a big five-run fourth inning to take home a victory 8–5.
Their second double-header came just one day later as they would face Lesley University. Brianna Melchionda was a huge factor in this game as she allowed just one hit over four innings pitched as the Beacons would take game one by a score of 10–2. Their second game went in quite the opposite direction of the first game as the Beacons allowed 15 runs on 13 hits to fall 15–2.
The UMass Boston softball team currently holds a 21–17 record overall, but just a 7–9 record within the LEC which is good enough for fifth place in the conference. With their final regular season game having already been played, the Beacons will have to wait until this upcoming week to find out who they will be playing in the first round of the LEC conference. So, for now it is just a waiting game.

Josh Kotler, Photographer