53°

The Netflix exodus

UMass Boston student Stacy sits down in the residence hall to catch up on the newest Netflix shows. Photo by Olivia Reid / Mass Media Staff

Netflix has dominated the lives of just about everyone for the last decade. Whether they were Zoomers who got caught up with the trendy shows the streaming service had to offer like “13 Reasons Why,” “You” and more, or a Boomer who simply enjoys watching episodes of “M*A*S*H” or “Monty Python’s Flying Circus,” Netflix was simply the place to watch whatever subscribers were looking for. However, with the advent of new streaming services like Disney+, HBO Max and Paramount+, among many others, the world of streaming has gotten much more competitive than it has ever been in the past. This, coupled with the news that Netflix is losing a large amount of subscribers, might be making some wonder: Is it time to leave Netflix?
Recently, it was reported that Netflix’s value dropped 50 billion dollars (1). Coming off a few years of isolation where people were known to indulge in binge-watching their favorite comfort shows, one would think that Netflix would be experiencing more user engagement. This simply isn’t the case. There are several potential reasons for this. For one, the company has announced plans to crack down on password sharing so that more people will have to purchase accounts to use the platform. For those looking to save money, like any “broke” college students that may be reading this, the announcement may have come across as a sort of slap to the face. While the company is hoping it will encourage more people to purchase accounts, whether it will actually do so remains to be seen. 
Another reason may be that Netflix has considered putting ads up on their shows (1). So, if someone wants to use the streaming service for a lower price, they may soon be able to—if they’re willing to sit through some ads. While this may sound like great news to some, many others may be put off by the news that Netflix is giving into this. After all, it was part of what set them apart from other services like Hulu and Amazon Prime for all of these years. 
What about all of the original content? With an array of successful shows and films under its belt“The Irishman,” “Ozark” and “Stranger Things” being just a small part—anyone thinking of leaving may be dissuaded to do so. On the other hand, Netflix has been notoriously canceling shows lately, which may anger fans. So, if that is truly something that is forming someone’s opinion on whether to stay or go, it would be a good idea to do a quick Google search of whatever project may be of interest to see how things are going.
So, anyone who needs to manage their budget a little more strictly is going to have a hard choice to make. For years, Netflix was the place to watch shows. Now, it may be going the way of Blockbuster. How many people would consider being able to use the streaming platform at a lower price if they had to watch ads? Was cracking down on password sharing the breaking point or will it encourage more people to pay for an account of their own? A large number of people have already decided to leave Netflix, potentially taking its decades-long reign with them. If they have, then it’s been a heck of a run. However impossible it may seem, it looks like the day of “Netflix and Chill” is over.
1. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/media/netflix-earnings/index.html

Kyle Makkas, Humor Writer