UMass Boston's independent, student-run newspaper

The Mass Media

The Mass Media

The Mass Media

Logan Airport terminal evacuated due to ‘degraded’ PlayStation

Bianca Oppedisano
An airplane in flight. Illustration by Bianca Oppedisano / Mass Media Staff

On Sunday, April 15, Terminal A of Logan Airport was evacuated after TSA agents found a “suspicious item” when screening luggage for a Delta flight.  Around 4:05 p.m., TSA called for the State Police Bomb Squad, who arrived about an hour after the terminal was evacuated. 

The item in question was an old, degraded PlayStation console whose condition led to “abnormalities” when X-rayed, and therefore prompted TSA to seek out the Bomb Squad. After investigating the PlayStation, troopers swept the area while the terminal was still evacuated. 

“Troopers responded and, after investigation and research, determined that the item was a PlayStation video game console with a degraded condition caused by age or damage,” said police in a statement. 

Though the PlayStation presented no danger to travelers, much chaos and confusion ensued due to the evacuation. Travelers, employees and staff alike were all instructed over the airport’s loudspeaker to exit the security checkpoint and be screened again by TSA agents. 

“I was just zoning out and had my headphones in while I was walking through,” said Jamey Miller, a traveler on his way back to LaGuardia Airport, to The Boston Globe. “Suddenly everyone was running fast towards the exits, knocking over the stanchions, and ducking heads. I was looking towards the area people were running from and saw no signs of violence. I even asked someone ‘what’s happening?’ And she said, ‘I don’t know, just run.’”  

“We had already gone through TSA, me and my children, and all of a sudden we were getting our items from the bin and they told us to drop everything and just run and evacuate and it was a panic,” said Tara Williams, a mother traveling with her family to Florida for a vacation, to NBC10 Boston. “It was pretty terrifying. This is their first time on a plane, so yeah, it was really scary for them.”

“I had a 6 p.m. flight and I was just getting to the airport,” said Pam Lovano to WCVB5 Boston. “When I got out of the car, a bunch of people ran out screaming, so I got back in the car. I didn’t hear what they were screaming about. Then we drove around the terminals again. By the time we got back, Terminal A had been closed by the cops and I could see the people standing outside.” 

Many travelers were gathered out on the sidewalks outside of the terminal, and multiple police cruisers pulled up to the scene as well. One traveler even reported he and his fellow passengers being asked to evacuate the plane they were already on. 

Many photos and videos circulated Twitter at the time, but still, some individuals felt the flow of information regarding the incident was inadequate.

“I think the craziest part was no other terminal knew what was going on, so I’m on the bus, and everybody else is normal and my heart is racing,” said Nico Pisello to NBC10 Boston. “You would think the communication would be a little better. I’m going on Boston Logan’s Instagram, I’m going on Twitter, Googling, just constantly refreshing Boston Logan news. I get no updates … everybody’s just waiting. It’s frustrating.”

Around 5 p.m., after the troopers finished their sweep and gave the “all-clear,” passengers were allowed to return back inside to Terminal A. 


About the Contributor
Bianca Oppedisano, Illustrator