66°

UMass Boston baseball and softball update

Josh Kotler
UMass Boston’s Alex Amalfi (#11) pitches in the match against Suffolk University on Friday, April 8, 2022. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Both the UMass Boston baseball team and the softball team had a busy schedule this past week as the season is beginning to ramp up. Now, a good majority of their games going forward will be against opponents within the Little East Conference. So, without further ado, here is how the week shaped out for the Beacons and what lies ahead.
Baseball
The Beacons started the week off with a matchup against Endicott College. Going into the matchup, the Gulls were 15–4, having a great season and making for a difficult matchup for the Beacons. 
The game started out slow as Endicott College held a 1–0 lead for the first three innings. The Beacons would eventually respond in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Steve Brookwell drove in the tying run. The Beacons would storm ahead in the seventh and eighth innings with two two-run innings to take a 5–1 lead heading into the ninth inning. A late comeback attempt from the Gulls came up short in the ninth, as the Beacons took home a 5–3 victory to open up the week.
After Thursday’s game against Roger Williams University was postponed, the Beacons had a double-header against Suffolk University on Friday. Their first game of the day was all but over after the first inning. The Beacons rattled off six quick runs in the first inning, and there was no looking back after that. UMass Boston would wind up putting up 14 runs on 14 hits giving the opposition no chance with a final 14–2.
Their second game of the day was a bit of a different story as the game started off slow for the Beacons on the offensive end. Suffolk University held onto a 1–0 lead through the first three innings. Then a three-run fourth inning expanded the lead for Suffolk University to make it 4–0. The Beacons rallied with five runs in the fourth and fifth inning, but they couldn’t keep pace with Suffolk University as they would win 8–5.
Up next for the baseball team this week will be a matchup against Plymouth State University on Tuesday, a matchup against Tufts University on Wednesday and a double header against Keene State College on Saturday. With three of the four games this week having the Beacons go up against LEC opponents, it will be important for them to take advantage as they will have a great opportunity to improve upon their 4–0 conference record.
Softball 
The softball team started out the week with a double header against Western Connecticut State University on Tuesday. The first matchup started off slow, as there were no runs scored in the first five innings. The Beacons struggled on the offensive end, as they could only muster one hit throughout the entire contest, but it came in the sixth inning and drove two runs in. Due to a stellar performance from Emily Doble pitching a shutout, the Beacons would be able to take this one home 2–0.
Speaking of stellar pitching performances, Brianna Melchionda pitched a gem in the second game of the day against Western Connecticut State University. Melchionda allowed no runs, no walks, had 13 strikeouts and did all this while pitching a no-hitter. This dominant performance took the pressure off the offense as the Beacons were able to take home a victory 4–0.
On Sunday, the softball team will hold a double header against the 11–9 Keene State College. Keene State College is currently 1–1 against LEC opponents, so this game will hold a lot of weight in the standings, as the Beacons are currently 2–2 in games against LEC opponents. After that, the Beacons will have three separate double headers over the course of the week, against the University of Southern Maine, Emmanuel College and Plymouth State University.

Josh Kotler, Photographer