57°

UMass Boston hockey update

UMass Boston Sports Logo.

This was a big week for both the men and women’s hockey teams at UMass Boston. Going into the last week of the regular season, both teams had an opportunity to climb the standings with the New England Hockey Conference tournament right around the corner. Although both teams knew they were going to have a spot in the NEHC tournament, it was still important to get some wins to enter the postseason with some confidence. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at how the UMass Boston hockey teams fared in their final regular season games and what lies ahead.
Men’s hockey
In the past five games, the Beacons hold a record of 2–0–3, securing them the third seed in the NEHC. Although their spot in the tournament was guaranteed, the Beacons were still at risk of dropping in the standings with a loss Saturday night against Skidmore College. The game opened with a goal from Skidmore just five minutes into the game. However, the Beacons would score two unanswered goals from Jeffrey Skinner and Nolan Barrett. Skidmore College would then tie the game in dramatic fashion with just a second remaining in regulation. No goals would be scored in overtime, with the game ending in a tie.
With that result, the Beacons will now move on to the postseason where they will, once again, face-off against the sixth seeded Skidmore College this Saturday. In the two meetings UMass Boston has had against Skidmore college this season, the Beacons hold a record of 1–0–1. Obviously, we know how their most recent game ended, but earlier in the season, the Beacons dominated Skidmore College by a score of 5–0. I expect the Beacons to take care of business on home ice against Skidmore College.
Women’s hockey
The UMass Boston women’s hockey team had their final matchup of the regular season this past Saturday against Plymouth State University. The game started out with Plymouth State University scoring the lone goal in the first period. However, UMass Boston turned it on, scoring six unanswered goals from Cailey Kozich, Rachael Burum, Liz Kramp, Gabby Shontz, and also including two goals from Katie Wilbert to take home the victory 6–1.
The Beacons first matchup in the NEHC tournament will be Castleton University. UMass Boston played Castleton University this past Friday and lost by a narrow score of 3–2. However, back in January the Beacons had their first matchup against Castleton University and won by the same score of 3–2. Considering UMass Boston and Castleton have consistently had tightly contested matchups, I fully expect this upcoming matchup to be more of the same this upcoming Saturday. I would give a slight advantage to UMass Boston considering they will have home ice advantage.
The regular season may have officially come to an end, but for UMass Boston, this is where the real season begins. The job isn’t truly finished until you win the conference championship and both the men and women’s hockey teams here at UMass Boston will have an opportunity to do that in the coming weeks. The work will begin this Saturday when the women face-off against Castleton University at 4 p.m. on home ice, followed by the men who will be playing Skidmore College at 7 p.m. on home ice.