51°

Hobbies that can help you pass the time

Olivia Reid
Adam reads a new book in his spare time. Photo by Olivia Reid / Mass Media Staff

College students are no strangers to applying themselves. They bury their noses in textbooks, stare at computer screens as they type their essays and try to get something out of every class they take. While it is important to take some time off to lie down and relax, it’s also important to find something to occupy the time instead of staring at the ceiling. That’s where hobbies come in. From knitting to collecting, here are some ways UMass Boston students can apply themselves towards reaching a non-academic goal.
Knitting is a classic activity and a great hobby to acquire. While stereotypical imagery may cause one to associate it with grandmothers in rocking chairs, it can be fun for all ages and genders. Alana Coriolone, a student at UMass Boston, loves knitting in her free time. “I like knitting because it’s something you really have to put your all into to get the desired product,” she said. “One slip up and the project could be messed up entirely.”
Based on that, knitting seems like it would appeal to perfectionists out there who value attention to details or just like creating items to wear or for everyday use. For those who truly want something to lose themselves in, that might be a plus. On the other hand, some people would rather just turn their brains off as they do something. After all, school requires a high level of thinking as is. It can also be an opportunity to listen to that podcast everyone is talking about or just putting on a favorite album.
For those who’d rather take a break from the hustle and bustle of critical thinking and concentration, this article would be glad to direct your attention toward coloring. While any Michael’s or Barnes and Noble is bound to have some, coloring books can be found practically anywhere nowadays. There’s something soothing about using colored pencils, crayons or whatever weapon of choice, and adding a new dimension to a work of art.
Those that really get into it have entire coloring books completely filled up with their efforts. Some even rip the pictures out of their books and put them on display for their friends to see. Under the right circumstances, it can be entrancing and hypnotic. In other words, it’s a great break from reality. It can also provide physical benefits, such as reducing stress and tension, because it can be used as a form of meditation.
While some like creating images, there is more than one way of setting a scene. While a picture may contain a thousand words, there may be something satisfying in writing those words. That’s why this next suggestion is writing. Whether it be creative writing, journal entries or poetry of any sort, putting one’s words onto paper can be an effective manner of expression.
Just ask Caitlin Stano, another student here at UMass Boston. She says that writing helps her clear her thoughts and “try to be creative.” For those who are too afraid to do anything with their thoughts or ideas because they don’t want to share them, Caitlin sympathizes. She doesn’t share them either. Instead, her satisfaction comes from the way in which her writing serves as an outlet for her ideas.
Lastly, if one is truly looking to invest their time into something, collecting may be the way to go. Simply seeking out objects, whether they go to a store and buy something or travel far and wide seeking out a hyper-rare collectible, can be an adventure all in its own. Doing research and patiently building up a collection can be an extremely satisfying activity.
“Collecting what?” I’m sure some people are asking. Well, that is up for the reader to decide. If collecting stamps seems interesting, then please go ahead and do so. If what one collects is primarily based off what one can afford to collect, that is perfectly reasonable also. After all, many have impressive collections of cool looking rocks found on beaches throughout the world.
If one is looking to be able to do something with their collection, comic books may be the way to go, as they can also read stories in what they are collecting. For music lovers, collecting vintage vinyls or CDs may be a cool route to take, with another added benefit of discovering new music.
For those who just want to put the same effort into themselves that they put into their studies, maybe a hobby is what you’re looking for. Whether one chooses to collect or create, a good hobby can just make life feel a little more interesting. After all, it’s simply one putting their time into themself.

Kyle Makkas, Humor Writer
Olivia Reid, Photo Editor