51°

Spooky songs that go bump in the night

A student carves a pumpkin while listening to Spotify after class. Photo by Olivia Reid / Mass Media Staff

If the pumpkins, red leaves and sudden appearances of Spirit Halloween stores have not yet made it evident, Halloween is just around the corner. That means horror movies, costumes and candy. It also means delightfully spooky songs of all different kinds. If “Thriller” and “Monster Mash” seem worn out to whoever is reading this, and new discoveries are simply a must, then read on for Halloween tunes that don’t get overplayed on the radio.
To start off this list, let’s look at a song that is a relatively new addition to the “discography of darkness.” The band All Time Low, along with collaborators Demi Lovato and blackbear, recorded a song titled “Monsters.” The titular monsters are metaphorical in the lyrics of the tune, but the music video fully celebrates the spooky nature of the title. For a pop-punk bop with a fun video to go with it, this is as good as it gets.
However, the song above does use explicit language, and some would prefer to celebrate Halloween as a children’s holiday. Afterall, this is the time in life where the candy and costumes have truly endeared themselves to most people. For a children’s song that still has a somewhat creepy vibe, look no further than “Boris the Spider” by the Who.
Sure, Boris may be a funny name for an arachnid, but the lyrics deal with a fear people of all ages can relate to, finding and then losing a spider in your room. It is reminiscent of the horror specials most people watched on TV as a kid—creepy but not traumatizing, and riddled with bits of humor throughout.
How about those who want to grow up from the playful horror of youth? No more “Nightmare before Christmas,” it’s time for “Nightmare on Elm Street.” If that’s what’s needed, then “Black Sabbath” by Coven should prove to be more than enough. The band is probably best known for popularizing the devil horns gesture that can be seen at many heavy metal shows. Most of their songs center around the Occult, Satanism and the like, and “Black Sabbath” probably best exemplifies this. With lyrics about sacrifice, witchcraft and the destruction of good, the listener is guaranteed to already feel goosebumps by the time the singer begins to loudly cackle an evil laugh.
Also, for a song of the same name with similar horror movie vibes, be sure to check out “Black Sabbath” by the band Black Sabbath, on the album Black Sabbath—notice any pattern there? It also contains lyrics about Satan and damnation, but this one really does sound like something that would play in the background of an old horror movie. If a song has that title, one can almost guarantee it will have horrific vibes.
Lastly, there is the haunting song by Hip Hop group Insane Clown Posse, “In My Room.” While not as overtly Halloween-themed as some of the previous entries of this list, the tune does have an undoubtedly scary vibe, and is about the narrator’s relationship with a ghost. Also, the group is called Insane Clown Posse, which immediately ups the level of spookiness on any song they put out.
While not centering around satanism and witchcraft like “Black Sabbath,” the song is even more violent in a deeply unsettling way, as the main character goes to horrifying lengths to prove their love for the ghost. If one is looking to be unsettled, this song is certainly going to do it for them. So, make sure to start listening, and if you feel a sudden chill while listening to any of these tunes, then happy Halloween!

Kyle Makkas, Humor Writer