66°

An unofficial Valentine’s and Galentine’s Day gift guide

A group of friends hanging out.

Valentine’s Day is in two weeks. When we were kids, they’d have us hand out paper cards, a hot mess of red and pink decorated with glitter and stickers. Now, the only things college students give each other—well, they certainly don’t have glitter. UMass Boston is no exception. I’ve talked to some of my friends who are students here on campus and came up with a few ideas for a short and sweet gift guide this Cupid Day. Enjoy!
1. V-Day equals love all around. Plan a day trip instead of giving a gift! Whether you’re celebrating by yourself, with your friends or with your significant other, the Day of Love has something for all of us. But sometimes one or two of us want to get away. One fast way to fly the coop and get off campus if you don’t want to give a material gift is to take a quick getaway! Even a quick coffee shop date or buying dinner can be a really sweet way to celebrate Valentine’s.
2. You don’t need to dig deep to get an amazing gift: Make something homemade. Buying gifts can get really expensive, and sometimes as a college student that can be tricky. Making something for your partner can be an inventive and great way to save money and show that you care about them. Try old-school glitter cards, drawing, writing feelings down or printing off a poem and making it your own with doodles and designs. Words of affirmation go a lot further than gifts. Something else that I might add is that telling your partner that you care and appreciate them can be a lot more important than getting someone a gift. After all, Valentine’s Day should be about telling your partner you care and appreciate them rather than buying them material goods.
3. Give your partner something they need. Remember when your girlfriend moved into her new apartment and said she really needed a new cooking pot? Or what about Jimmy’s boyfriend who literally wouldn’t stop talking about that new video game? Something you need isn’t only limited to something practical, but it couldn’t hurt to tune in to what your partner wants. They may drop subtle hints, or have said something in the past. Or if they don’t say something, try asking a mutual friend if you can’t quite figure out what it is to get them, or to figure out if there’s something else they’ve had their eye on. That goes for jewelry, clothes, maybe even a cozy blanket!
4. Classic gifts like flowers or chocolate! Classic doesn’t mean cliché, especially when you buy your partner something that’s vetted as a perfect Valentine’s Day gift. A nice box of chocolates or a bouquet of flowers are two of the cutest and really classic gifts that you can get your partner. I don’t know about you but sophomore year, I got some roses from my boyfriend and it was the cutest thing. Check out the Godiva store as they give free samples and sometimes discounts around Valentine’s Day. They also have sales at Target and sometimes on Amazon which may be worth checking out. Also, Target’s bargain bins may have some great items like frames, socks, cute succulents and more for half of the price!
5. Cozy socks and sweaters. Getting your partner something warm and fuzzy like a pair of cozy socks is super sweet—when I used to work at Barnes & Noble, several guys came in looking for Reading socks for their girlfriends and my heart basically just melted (1). If you know your significant other loves reading and staying home rather than going out, this may be the perfect gift for them. And you can’t go wrong with a good blanket, so you might as well add that in with the socks too (2)!
Valentine’s Day is a time to be with your friends, partners and people you care about. Love is still all around, even past Christmas and holiday time, and you don’t need mistletoe to show someone how much you love them. Let’s just hope Cupid aims high this season!
(1) https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/red-fairisle-ankle-sock-giftcraft/1139388477;jsessionid=2060907086F0E9D61F44A9A52F7A7DAA.prodny_store01-atgap02?ean=0067103898293 
(2) https://bearaby.com/products/the-napper?view=alternate&sscid=11k6_tr8di&utm_source=SAS_2029250&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=2029250_999999