48°

Beacons and the World Cup: Games in December

Josh Kotler

UMass Boston’s Kerrian Farina (#11) in the game against Colby-Sawyer College on Nov. 22.

As the fall semester comes to a close, final exams and essays have come the forefront of everyone’s attention. Similarly, international soccer now has the worlds’ attention. The FIFA World Cup gathered eyes from students across the upper level the Campus Center as nations play for the most important title in soccer.

Meanwhile, at home, the Beacons are active in competition as well. Hockey and basketball are currently both in the midst of their seasons, and spring sports are looming on the horizon.

Let’s breakdown both the Beacon’s schedule through the new year and the World Cup’s upcoming games until their final on Dec. 18.

Starting Monday Dec. 5, UMass Boston women’s basketball takes on New England College at 4 p.m. in a home game at the Clark Athletic Center. Meanwhile, the World Cup starts its third day of its round of 16. Japan takes on Croatia at 10 a.m., and the first in Group G plays against the second standing in Group H at 2 p.m.

On Dec. 6, Beacons basketball travel to Danbury, Conn. to play against Western Connecticut State. The women’s game begins at 5 p.m., followed by the men’s at 7 p.m. For the rest of the Beacons, the women’s hockey team has a home game against Connecticut College, starting at 6 p.m. For the World Cup, Morocco will confront Spain at 10 a.m., and the first place holder in Group H will go against the second of Group G at 2 p.m.

On Thursday, Dec. 8, men’s basketball travels to Milton, Mass. to take on Curry College at 6 p.m.. To close out the weekend, Dec. 9 and Dec. 10 mark the Quarter finals of the World Cup, which will take place during the usual 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. time slots.

Saturday, Dec. 10 will be a busy day for the Beacons, as women’s basketball travels to Worcester, Mass, to play against Worcester Polytechnic Institute at 2 p.m., while men’s basketball stays home and plays against Eastern Nazarene College at 3 p.m. Women’s Hockey joins them at home, taking on Middlebury College at 4 p.m.

The UMass Boston Track teams will join UMass Dartmouth and will host an invitational meet at The Track at New Balance, a facility located behind the company’s headquarters over the Mass Pike. The event will take place trough the day. (2)

On Tuesday, Dec. 13, men’s basketball will take on Salem State University at 3 p.m. Two days later, on Dec. 15, men’s basketball will take on Westfield State University at 7 p.m. Then, over the weekend, Rhode Island College comes to Clark Athletic Center to play against both of UMass Boston’s basketball teams on Dec. 17. The women begin at 1 p.m., and are followed by the men at 3 p.m.

The last week of classes also marks the start of the World Cup’s most exciting matches. All of the games will be aired at 2 p.m., a good way to spend lunch. On Dec. 13 and Dec. 14, the winner and third place teams gain their spots in the semifinals, while the third-place match and final are disputed later that weekend on Dec. 17 and Dec. 18.

There is a break for winter sports to accommodate for finals and the holidays. The Beacons return at the end of the month to count down the last three days of the year. First, on Thursday, Dec. 29, the men’s hockey team takes the ice against Fitchburg State University at 1:30 p.m. as part of the 57th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament, which also runs into the next day. Then, on New Year’s Eve, women’s basketball celebrates by playing against Eastern Nazarene College at 11 a.m., while women’s hockey travels to Amherst to play against Amherst College at 3 p.m.

For daily updates on UMass Boston’s games and scores, follow the Beacon athletics on Instagram @umassbeacons. For highlights of each game, as well as recognition of game leaders and team statistics, check the athletics website at beaconsathletics.com.

__

https://onefootball.com/en/matches

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2022/04/13/the-track-new-balance/

http://www.beaconsathletics.com/calendar

Valentina Valderrama Perez, Features Writer
Josh Kotler, Photographer