53°

City of Boston invites people to celebrate One Boston Day

Boston Marathon participants cross the finish line. Photo courtesy of Corwin Wickersham. 

This year marks the tenth anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing of 2013. One Boston Day commemorates the city and its residents’ resiliency. Since 2015, two years after the tragic event, April 15 has been marked as One Boston Day. It is when all the local organizations and volunteer groups come together and engage in community events. 

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, the City of Boston and the Boston Athletic Association invite all local businesses and organizations to participate in honoring the lives of the survivors and victims of the bombing. In the official press release, Mayor Wu emphasized numerous opportunities for the residents and workers that will be posted on the website in the upcoming weeks alongside the Acts of Kindness Checklist. She also added that One Boston Day embodies the city’s strength and resiliency when everyone comes together. 

“One Boston Day honors those forever impacted on April 15, 2013 and recognizes the greatest strength of this city—our people, we will never forget the people whose lives were lost, the many injured and forever changed, and the spirit of humanity displayed that day and beyond for those most in need,” expressed Wu. 

Ten years since the Boston Marathon Bombing, City of Boston departments and the workers from these departments have come together and volunteered to host service projects. The 2023 Acts of Kindness Checklist is one of the unique initiatives launched by the City of Boston to inspire people to carry out acts of kindness and give them ideas on getting involved. The Kindness Checklist includes hosting a community building event, supporting local businesses and local restaurant owners, thanking medical professionals by dropping off coffee, contributing to food pantry initiatives, donating blood with the Red Cross, supporting the LGBTQ+ community and more. 

Some other checklist ideas include donating to a Boston Marathon runner who is running for a cause, thanking a veteran for their service, donating to a local museum, supporting local artists by buying their art, et cetera. 

“On One Boston Day, we hope residents, businesses and service organizations across the city will come together and find ways to give back in service to others and their communities,” said Bill Richard, Co-Founder of the Martin Richard Foundation. 

Organizations like Stepping Strong Center for Trauma Innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital have already announced that they will hold a blood drive on April 15. Founder Audrey Epstein Reny said that the mission of Gillian Reny Stepping Strong Center is to provide hope to the survivors of tragic accidents through collaboration and community outreach. “On One Boston Day, we invite the public to continue this tradition by contributing much-needed blood for trauma patients,” commented Reny. 

The city will be hosting a series of events on April 15. The Office of Civic Organizing, the Mayor’s Youth Council and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department will host a community clean-up at Franklin Park at 10 a.m. Information about other events and initiatives to mark the tenth anniversary will be made available to the residents in the upcoming weeks on the One Boston Day website. 

Boston Athletic Association President and Chief Executive Officer Jack Fleming also commented that the city and the people continue to honor the lives of those affected by the bombing. The Boston Athletic Association is dedicated to commemorating lives while celebrating people’s strengths. 

Residents are encouraged to share their ideas and reflections through social media with the hashtag #OneBostonDay. Additional information about One Boston Day, including a form to register for a community event, can be found at boston.gov/one-boston. 

Sources: 

1. https://www.boston.gov/news/mayor-wu-announces-day-volunteer-service-and-acts-kindness-mark-one-boston-day 

2. https://www.boston.com/news/boston-marathon/2023/02/28/city-invites-local-organizations-to-volunteer-in-one-boston-day/ 

3.https://www.boston.gov/sites/default/files/file/2023/02/One_Boston_Day_Acts_of_Kindness_Checklist.pdf 

Kaushar Barejiya, News Editor