63°

Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund to Distribute $45,000

The Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) will distribute $45,000 in scholarships to 12 full-time University of Massachusetts Boston students on March 4. 

This recognition ceremony will mark the second time UMass Boston has been eligible to distribute the APIASF scholarship through its Asian American Student Success Program (AASSP).

The AASSP provides tutoring and mentoring to Asian American students at UMass Boston. 

On March 4, the APIASF will reward 12 full-time students with scholarships. This is the second year the University of Massachusetts has been eligible to allot this scholarship funding. The Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution Scholarship Fund program partners with UMass Boston and 14 other institutions to accelerate the success of some of the highest concentrations of underserved Asian American and Pacific Islander students.

The AASSP is able to participate in this scholarship program because UMass Boston (the only qualified institution in New England) was designated by the U.S. Department of Education as an institution that has an undergraduate student body of at least 10 percent of students that identify as Asian American or Native American Pacific Islander. The five-year Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) funding is to help participating universities strengthen retention and persistence services, bolster recruitment programs, and expand resources and staffing.

“The first year that we did [AANAPISI] they were all one-semester awards and this year we have expanded, so we are giving two awards this semester,” said Sara Boxell, AASSP assistant. 

“You have to be a full-time degree[-]seeking student as well as a student that has applied for financial aid through FAFSA [to be eligible for these scholarships].”

The AASSP is an academic support office that helps students. They raise awareness of resources and services such as the APIASF. They also provide tutoring, establish relationships with peer mentors, organize events and support services, and facilitate the connection to historical and current stories from Asian American communities.

Students interested in applying for a AANAPISI scholarship can go to AANAPISISCHOLARSHIP.APIASF.ORG, or visit the Asian American Student Success Program located at the Ryan Lounge, room M03-0703 in McCormack Hall.