66°

UMass Boston Hosts Special Olympics Basketball Tournament, Earns NCAA Accolades

The Beacons hosted Special Olympians for their first basketball tournament last month

On Sunday, Feb. 8, the Clark Athletic Center filled up with University of Massachusetts Boston and Special Olympic athletes for a fun, competitive basketball outing. That afternoon, UMass Boston hosted its first annual Special Olympics Basketball Tournament.
Heading the event was Oderra Jones, the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Community Outreach and Engagement Coordinator. Jones helped UMass Boston team up with the NCAA Division III Special Olympics Initiative in order to bring the event to campus. According to the NCAA, “The purpose of the partnership is to improve the lives of Special Olympics athletes through their involvement with Division III student-athletes and to foster a mutual learning experience between Division III student-athletes and Special Olympics athletes.”
“The UMass [Boston] athletes did a great job officiating and organizing the event,” Jones said. “UMass Boston was happy to take part in an event that promotes a positive message. It gives our student-athletes a chance to give back to the community and to develop as individuals.” For UMass Boston, their first event went extremely smoothly. There was a great turnout of Olympians and Beacon athletes. Some of the athletes competed with the Special Olympians, while the Hockey team set up a student fan section in the bleachers. The environment was energetic and booming. The Special Olympians and over 100 Beacon athletes were full of smiles throughout the day.
Currently, UMass Boston is in the NCAA Special Olympics spotlight poll for March 2015. The athletics department, students, and athletes all put a great deal of effort into the event. They’ve requested student body support in helping them win recognition.
“The UMass [Boston] student base is much different than normal colleges. We are a commuter school. Many of our students have full time and part time jobs, on top of their schoolwork. In the athletics department, our student-athletes juggle jobs, school and sports. The weekends are the only time for our students to work and attend to other obligations,” said Jones. “Despite the struggles, our athletes find a way to host events like this. They deserve recognition for their hard-work and selflessness.”
The athletes do deserve recognition for the effort that was put in. The event was extremely successful and over a hundred Special Olympians participated in the games. Representatives from all 18 varsity sports participated. Often time hard-work goes unrewarded, so be sure to support the Beacons Athletics Program and vote UMass Boston.
Visit http://www.ncaa.org/about/special-olympics-partnership to vote for UMass Boston in the Special Olympics spotlight poll.