66°

Beacon Update 3/20/2015

Softball
1-7 (0-0 LEC)
The Beacons ventured down to Clermont, Florida to spend their break soaking up the sun and playing two games a day against competition from around the country. It was a rough trip for the Beacons, especially on the mound, as they allowed 56 runs in the eight games. The only win came against FDU-Florham, 13-2. Senior pitcher Michelle Zullo struck out three and allowed five hits as she went the distance. Kristina Bove smacked a home run and had four RBIs, and Kaitlyn Morse, Samantha Hemstock, and Lauren Mitsiaris added two RBIs each. Hemstock comes back up north scorching hot, going 13 of 28 on the trip for an average of .464. Morse is hitting .375 on the young season, and pitcher Emily Gray is hitting .350. The Beacons occasionally had quiet bats, scoring two runs or less in three games, but they did average five runs per game for the trip as a whole. The pitching is what made the difference, as they allowed double digit runs in three games and eight in another, a shutout loss to MCLA. If they want any shot of making noise in the LEC this season, they’ll have to keep the team ERA low, especially in the first month of the season, when it’s still cold out and balls carry less.
The road ahead:
March 26 @ Bridgewater State (doubleheader), 3 p.m.
March 28 V. Western Connecticut State (doubleheader), 1 p.m.
March 31 @ Wheaton (doubleheader), 3 p.m.
April 4 @ Eastern Connecticut State (doubleheader), 1 p.m.
April 6 @ Salve Regina (doubleheader), 4 p.m.
Men’s Tennis
1-6 (0-0 LEC)
The Beacons went to Puerto Rico for their Spring Break, where they played four matches and couldn’t manage to return home with a win. They lost 9-0 on March 16 to the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, and were defeated the next day, 8-1, by Puerto Rico-Rio Piedra. Charles Lai and Austin DeLasse scored the only win of the match for the Beacons. The day after, the Beacons fell to Augustana College 9-0, and they concluded the trip with a loss, 9-0, to local rival Babson. Lai captains a team that draws talent from all over the world, with two players from India, one from China, and one from Latvia, in addition to strong local talent. When the Beacons restart their season next week, they’ll be looking for answers as they try to get back on track and climb back into LEC contention.
The road ahead:
March 26 @ Eastern Nazarene, 3 p.m.
March 28 @ Southern Maine, 1 p.m.
April 2 V. Suffolk, 3 p.m.
April 4 V. Western Connecticut State, 1 p.m.