66°

Eating Out On a Budget

Shake Shack Shack Burger and Cheese Fries

All students are familiar with the phrase “ballin’ on a budget” because we are perpetually trapped in its clutches. Sure, money does not buy happiness, it sure as hell makes a difference in what you get to eat and how you spend your precious free time.
It’s especially hard to eat out in a costly and vibrant city like Boston. As anyone who has stepped into any vicinity of the city, they know one thing—nothing is cheap.
Fortunately, many popular—and even not-so-popular ones that deserve attention—have some really great deals if you are willing to wait for the right day of the week.
1. Fire + Ice, Harvard Square
Just about everybody has experienced the brilliance that is the Fire + Ice Mongolian grill. Suburban kids from all over Massachusetts frequent the make-your-own-dish restaurant.
The best part, as just about everyone would agree, is watching your creation come to life by the chefs working the circular grill. The food is quality and pretty affordable as is.
On Monday nights from 4-10 p.m., college students get can get unlimited make-your-own-dish for $10. Make sure you bring your ID, or else they will charge you full price.
2. Shake Shack, Harvard Square
Although there is a Shake Shack location on Newbury Street, all the fuss seems to be all about the burger place in Cambridge, near Harvard University.
Harvard students are already blessed with endless eatery options in Harvard Square, ranging from Vietnamese to Mexican food. If you are in the mood for freshly made burgers—that are halal, for any Muslim readers—and mind-blowing milkshakes, Shake Shack is the place to go.
Admittedly, the burgers and shakes are a little pricy—the Single ShackBurger is about five bucks, and although absolutely worth trying, may not be plausible for someone on a tight budget.
Shake Shack has a brilliant special cheese sauce that they put on their crinkle cut fries, and on Thursdays, fries are free with a student ID. I have even managed to get the cooks to add the cheese sauce for free —it’s always worth asking!
3. Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston
Sunset reaches many students’ all-time favorites as far as food goes. If you are a fan of pub-food—the typical arrange of burgers and fries as well as nachos and quesadillas—this bar and grill is calling to you.
The atmosphere itself is a treat, featuring vibrantly colored decor and a classic rock playlist. It is in a prime location, too—if you are into hookah bars, Habibis is not even a block down.
The best part about Sunset? On Mondays, the $10.50 half-sized nachos (enough for maybe two very hungry people, and that’s pushing it) is only $5.25.
If you really aren’t feeling going into the city, just remember that on Wednesdays, the University of Massachusetts Boston cafe meals of the day are half off.