63°

‘Shades of Sound’ Delivers a Clash of Color and Magic

‘Shades of Sound’ Cast in Rehersals

On March 19, The Boston Opera House was buzzing with ballet enthusiasts, journalists, and disgruntled husbands getting their fill of wine before “Shades of Sound,” Boston Ballet’s current dance program, took center stage on opening night.

“Shades of Sound” opened its first of three sets with Wayne McGregor’s “Chroma.”  The choreography was magical as the dancers, donning nude-colored, sleepwear-like costumes, contoured their body to the powerful tempo of John Tolby’s score, which was arranged by Jack White of The White Stripes. The minimalist set design only added to the drama and mystery of “Chroma.”

“Episodes,” the second act of the program, which premiered in 1959 by the New York City Ballet, was choreographed by George Balanchine with music by Anton von Webern. The dancers—Whitney Jensen and Bradley Schlagheck in particular—mastered their stage presence as they effortlessly captured the emotion and physicality of the choreography.  

Making its Boston Ballet premiere was “Black Cake,” choreographed by Hans van Manen with music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Leoš Janáček, Igor Stravinsky, Pietro Mascagni, and Jules Massenet. It was a comical end to a wonderful night of dance. The whimsical set and costumes were fun, and the waiter’s spontaneous entrances capped a night of perfect, colorful eccentric energy.
“Shades of Sound” will be playing at The Boston Opera House until March 29. For tickets and more info, visit bostonballet.org/shadesofsound.