63°

Beacon Update 5/3/2015

Lacrosse
5-10 (1-6 LEC)
The guys closed out their season a couple of weeks ago. They beat Southern Maine in a tight one, 14-11, on April 21. Michael Kennedy played at a very high level, scoring six goals in the contest. Noah Ellis also performed in a big way with four goals and one assist. After a few days off, the Beacons traveled to UMass Dartmouth to close out the year, and they fell short, losing 15-2. Donny Delpha and Joseph Cunningham scored for the Beacons, who were unable to qualify for the LEC Tournament despite a solid start to the year. Ellis led the Beacons in goals with 33 in 15 games. Delpha had 19 and kicked in 14 assists, and John Powers led the guys with 15 assists.
Men’s Tennis
6-11 (4-2 LEC) Lost in LEC Semifinals
The Beacons struggled mightily in the early part of the season but had a great, very productive homestretch. On April 22, they beat Salem State, 7-2, and beat Rhode Island College on April 25, 7-2. That last victory allowed them to qualify for the LEC Tournament, where they faced Western Connecticut State in the Quarterfinals, a matchup they dominated, 5-0, behind doubles wins by Charles Lai and Jack Wang, and Greg Fleming and Austin DeLasse. They would not be fortunate in the semifinals, as they lost a close one to UMass Dartmouth, 5-4, despite a great performance from Lai, who won his singles and doubles matches. The Beacons definitely have some momentum to build on heading into next season, as they caught fire over the last two weeks of the season, but it was unfortunately too little, too late.
A letter from sports editor Jon Mael
I first got the idea to do the Beacon Update back in March of 2011. It was a simpler time. This was a pre-Hernandez world. A world where Barack Obama had black hair, and Justin Bieber was only slightly messed up. I’ve written dozens of these. Some of them have included conference championships, or stats from players that would be drafted into the MLB, or play professional volleyball in Austria, or come back to coach here at UMass Boston, but this is the last one. After five great years at the Mass Media I’m moving into the real world. Honestly, I have more people to thank than I could possibly list here, but I just wanted to make sure some people got special recognition. First of all, you readers are the reason I do this. If not for you than there’s no point in taking time to write these stories. 
Charlie Titus, the Athletic Director here at UMass Boston, has always been a great friend of the newspaper and has never been too busy to take a few minutes to talk with me about what’s going on in the athletic department, or basketball, or sometimes just life. The UMass Boston athletes are some of the hardest working people I know. They have to balance their sports, jobs, and classes, and many of them are commuting on top of that. After high school, I didn’t think I’d see eye to eye with any athletes for the rest of my life, but my philosophy has changed. The Beacons are generally good, down to earth, supportive people, and they have been a pleasure to work with over the years, nothing makes me happier than sharing a great story from the department. Professors Tim Hasci, Andrew Clark, Vincent Cannato, John Hess, and many others, thank you so much for the guidance.
Thanks to the Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots for delivering championships during my tenure here. Thanks to the Jets for the butt fumble, which was also during my tenure here. Also—a big thanks to Dan Shaughnessy, Jerry Thornton, Tony Mazz, and the other members of Boston’s sports media who have been interviewed for the sports section over the years. I look up to you guys and it’s been great getting to know you and sharing your views on these pages.
My copyeditors over the years, including Christi Kim, Megan Bennett, Jamie Dinh, Jillian Goss, and Nicole Carpenter, thanks for making me sound not dumb. It’s a challenge, but you guys are always game. My amazing crew of writers, it goes without saying that this section couldn’t function without you. 
But finally, the biggest thanks needs to go to Donna Neal, our staff advisor here at the Mass Media. She’s a quiet force, working behind the scenes and letting students take all the glory, but that’s how she likes it. Coming out of high school, I was always told by my peers that I wasn’t good enough, whether it be gym class, dating, writing—they were right about the dating—, but she saw something in me and has been my biggest supporter ever since, and has always been the perfect person to turn to when I feel like I can’t do it or I need some help. I wouldn’t have lasted two weeks at the Mass Media without her.
So this is a farewell. I think the Red Sox are the next Boston team to win a championship. Blake Swihart will win MVP in the next five years. Rob Gronkowski will eventually win elected office.
And if you want to keep up with me, follow me on Twitter @jmael2010, and look for my stuff in the Boston Globe and on boston.com.