63°

Top 5 Super Bowl half-time performances of all time

Beyonce reunited with Destiny’s Child during the 2013 Super Bowl half-time show

Football is one of the most entertaining sports in television history. Filled with action, loads of commercials, and a never-ending stream of controversy, football seems to have it all. Football’s biggest day is the Super Bowl; the champions of the AFC take on the champions of the NFC. Companies pay millions of dollars to air their commercials during this event, and usually—not so much recently—they air the greatest commercials you will see all year. One of the most memorable parts of the Super Bowl, sandwiched between the first and second half of the game, is the half-time show. With this, you have a combination of sports, a concert performance, and drunk relatives screaming at the television. What more could you ask for? Here is, arguably, the top five Super Bowl half-time shows of the past decade.
5. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (2009)
You can never go wrong with Bruce, he’s an instant classic. Performing songs like “Born to Run” and “Glory Days,” this entire half-time show oozed greatness.
4. Bruno Mars/Red Hot Chili Peppers (2014)
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no one reminds me more of Michael Jackson than Bruno Mars. Their dancing, their singing, and even their outfits are similar. Of course, back in 1993, Michael Jackson gave the greatest half-time show of all time, but since this is from the past decade, Bruno Mars definitely makes the list. Not to mention the Red Hot Chili Peppers performing “Give It Away.” Even the older people who claim to “hate” this generation’s music enjoyed this one.
3. The Who (2010)
Nothing goes together better than football and rock ‘n roll. The Who are, without a doubt, essential classic rock, and they completely killed it. Playing their popular hits like “Baba O’Riley,” “Pinball Wizard,” and “Who Are You,” The Who gave a half-time show that fans of classic rock will never forget. Everything from their music to the stage design was spectacular.
2. Prince (2007)
Prince is one of the greats of pop, right up there with Michael Jackson and Madonna. His half-time show was filled to the brim with great music—he’s simply a top performer. I’d stop using the internet to be able to go back in time to see this show. He even covered “The Best of You” by the Foo Fighters and it was amazing. Honestly, Prince’s performance should be number one, except everyone knows who owns the title for number one half-time show of this decade.
1. Beyoncé (2013)
Nothing comes close to this half-time show; it had everything—everything meaning Beyoncé. This entire half-time show was flawless. She even performed an acappella version of “Love on Top,” and how do you top that? Well, she found a way and it was by bringing out Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams to reunite Destiny’s Child for one song. Half the stadium lost power because of this show. If that’s not a sign that this was the greatest half-time show of the decade, if not one of the greatest of all time, then I don’t know what is. I don’t even wish I were there because there is nothing I could give that would make me worthy of witnessing this live.