66°

The Highs and Lows of the 2015 Grammy’s

Sam Smith swept the 58th Grammy Awards with four trophys

The 57th annual Grammy Awards was a night of fashion and surprising performances. Some of the biggest names in music got a chance to show off—on the red carpet and on the big stage.
Before the ceremony, the best and worst outfits walked the red carpet. Taylor Swift wore a high-low teal Elie Saab gown, which was one of her best Grammy looks, especially since it was paired with purple heels. Another favorite was Jennifer Hudson in a strapless, white Tom Ford dress that she matched with bright purple lips. Kim Kardashian walked the carpet with her husband, and nominee, Kanye West. Kardashian wore a shimmering Jean Paul Gautier dress that showed off her perfectly tanned and glowing skin.
Not everyone hit the mark on this red carpet. Worst dressed has to go to Madonna, who walked the carpet in a Givenchy ensemble that was more fitting for a circus. A close second has to be Iggy Azalea. Though, the Armani Privé gown she wore was stunning, it was overshadowed by the wicker basket hairstyle she sported with her look. The woven braids around her head were more suited for a milkmaid, not a Grammy nominee.
The show itself seemed to have a performance for everyone. The show opened with a wild performance from AC/DC and Annie Lennox. The band played their hit “Highway to Hell,” while a particularly overjoyed Paul McCartney and Dave Grohl looked on from the audience.
Winner for Best Country Album, Miranda Lambert, took the stage to perform “Little Red Wagon.” The performance was full of girl power and energy that proved why she received four nominations this year.
Sia peformed her Grammy-nominated hit “Chandelier” with help from Maddie Ziegler and SNL’s Kristen Wiig. Sia belted out the song as Wiig and Ziegler danced back and forth across the stage in matching leotards.
Rihanna performed her new song “FourFiveSeconds” with nominee Kanye West and beloved Beatle, Paul McCartney. McCartney played the guitar as the trio rocked out on the Grammy stage.
Ed Sheeran performed his heartfelt “Thinking Out Loud” with John Mayer, proving to be a collaboration we needed much sooner and more often.
Beyoncé didn’t perform any songs from her nominated album, but instead sang “Take My Hand Precious Lord.” The gospel song, which was featured in the movie ”Selma,” was a beautiful and powerful performance — as was expected.
John Legend and Common closed the show with their performance of “Glory,” which was also featured in “Selma.” The song is an important one that connects the Civil Rights Movement of the ’60s with similar movements of today, like Ferguson.
The biggest winner of the night was Sam Smith, who took home four awards, including Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist, and Best Pop Vocal Album.
Album of the Year went to Beck, which seemed to come as a surprise to just about everyone. One person who wasn’t afraid to show his disagreement was none other then Kanye West. He jumped onstage as Beck accepted his award, as he did in 2009 when Taylor Swift won over Beyoncé at the VMAs.
Despite Kanye’s disapproval, the 2015 Grammy’s was a night to celebrate the best of music.