66°

Beacons Update

Men’s Basketball
Jason Harris, in his first season as head coach, is off to a good start in the Beacons 2015-16 campaign. In Harris’ first game of the year, at home, he helped lead the University of Massachusetts Boston to a 72-61 victory against Suffolk University. Senior Michael Campbell had an exceptional performance with six rebounds, five assists, one steal, and 20 points while shooting just under 50 percent. Gabriel Pereira contributed to the win with 15 rebounds and nine points, while Iser Bornes helped give the team a boost off of the bench with 12 points, three rebounds and three assists.
In the Beacons most recent game they lost to Trinity College in the 31st Annual Barbor Invitational Championship Game. The Beacons looked for a win coming off of a hard-fought semifinals victory against Vermont Tech, 74 to 70, but unfortunately couldn’t find their rhythm. Coach Harris looks to reestablish a rhythm moving into their first Little East Conference game, December 5. But before UMass Boston gets into conference play, the Beacons need to set focus on MIT, December 1. A victory could help rebuild momentum before their match against Western Connecticut State University.
Women’s Basketball
Interim Head Coach Kristina Baugh is taking control of the reigns with ease as she transitions into her new position. In the past four games Coach Baugh helped lead the Beacons to four straight victories. Except for the first game, UMass Boston defeated all of their opponents by double digits. The new coach has created a solid identity for her lady Beacons.
In the first game of the season, UMass Boston faced up against Endicott College. Senior Caption Olivia Murphy had an incredible performance with 19 points, 23 rebounds, three assists, four blocks, and a steal. The girls got game. Taje Burston contributed to the victory with 12 points, three assists, and a rebound. More recently, in the Beacons first Little East Conference game against Framingham State, the Beacons swept the floor with the Rams. Captain Murphy had another All-American like performance with 24 points, 18 rebounds, one assist, and two blocks. Kate Mathieu had a breakout game with 17 points, 11 rebounds and two assists. Olivia Murphy literally looks like an All-American night in and night out. The girl is averaging about 18 rebounds and 18 points a night. If Murphy can stay healthy, the Beacons will have a shot at the Little East Conference Championship.
Men’s Hockey
After falling one game short of making it to the NCAA National Tournament last year, the Beacons are back on the ice on a mission to reach their goal of winning the ECAC East Tournament Final. 10th year Head Coach Peter Belisle has his team right on track to grasp this goal. After their first eight games, the Beacons have an overall record of 6-1-1, and an NEHC record of 4-0. UMass Boston opened up the season with a home victory against Curry College, and followed it up with five away victories in a dominant stretch of their schedule. During the span, Beacon Hockey outscored their opponents 30 to 12 goals.
More recently, UMass has hit a bit of a lull in their dominance. The Beacons faced up against several NESCAC competitors in a tournament. Following the Beacons sixth win of the regular season, UMass set to the ice against Colby College. The final result was a draw, 1 -1. The next game, UMass faced up versus Bowdoin College and suffered a lopsided defeat, 5-0.  Lemire, Gannon, and Bishop have been key contributors to the Beacons immense success. The Beacons are favorites to win the NEHC regular season.
Women’s Hockey
Women’s Hockey is performing well at the start of their seasonal play. In the first nine games of their season, the Beacons overall record is 5-2 and conference record is 4-2. UMass Boston started the season slowly, losing three out of their first four games. Despite the struggles, the Beacons turned things around more recently winning their past three consecutive games. First-year head coach Lindsay Berman is excited with her team’s performance over the past few games, but is looking to maintain the success with consistent play in the weeks to come.
Kristina Bove and Rachel Myette have been beacons of force on the ice for UMass Boston. With a squad full of talented seniors, the team appears to have the experience it needs to make a deep run in the conference tournament. Following December 11, the Beacons have a four week stretch with no games. The team will be able to fine tune their offensive woes before the start of January, where they face the bulk of their conference opponents. Overall, the Beacons have positioned themselves well for the playoff picture.