66°

Desi Student Association and UMB Taal Host Diwali Night

The University of Massachusetts Boston’s Desi Student Association (DSA) and UMass Boston’s Taal Group held their first Diwali Night on Friday, September 6th from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m. The event took place on the 3rd floor of the Campus Center in the Ballroom.
Diwali is a Hindu festival, typically celebrated between mid-October and mid-November. It’s one the largest festivals in India. The festival celebrates the return of Lord Rama after 14 years of banishment and symbolizes the victory of light over darkness.
Throughout the event, there were many dance performances choreographed by the DSA. Music was brought to the event by DJ Lav, showcasing both international and Bollywood beats.
The event also featured free Henna with a donation option. Proceeds of the henna went towards Nepal earthquake relief.
Food was also provided, offering many different kinds of traditional Indian food. Chana masala, chicken tikka, and gulab jamun were some of the main dishes, as well as a sweet beverage called mango lasi.
The ballroom was decorated, walls strung with beautiful and mesmerizing lights. Chairs and tables bordered the common area. In the front of the room, next to the turning table, there was a shrine in honor of Lord Rama. It included a picture of him with lit candles and a bouquet of yellow daisies and red carnations.
Cultural events such as these are important to celebrating the diversity of our campus.