63°

Beacon Update

Men’s Soccer
UMass Boston Men’s Soccer team is off to the best start in the history of the program. The team is currently 10 and zero and has shown no sign of a drop off as they enter the second half of their season. Recently, on September 26, the team ousted Southern Maine nine to zero. The following game, the Beacon’s talent was put to the test in a nail-biter against Bridgewater State University. The Beacons came out victorious with a late goal in the 2nd overtime. The upcoming game, October 7, should be the biggest test of the season for the strong UMB side. They will face up against a strong-sided team with a lot of NCAA tournament experience, Babson. “We are just trying to keep the momentum going,” said Captain Alfonso Rosales. “If we can keep our focus we should have another deep run this year in the postseason.”
Women’s Soccer
In the past four games the Women’s Soccer team has gone two and two. The women are beginning to find form as they approach the bulk of their in conference games. Currently, there record is 4-6-1, however they have a Little East Conference record of three and zero. In UMB’s most recent game against rival UMass Dartmouth, the Beacons were able to slip away with a close victory. Nicole McMinamin netted the only goal of the match off of a corner from Kate Leavitt. Bendrick and Brooks also had solid performances in the backline, maintaining a shutout through two halves of play. The Beacons’ perfect record in conference is likely to give them a home game in their first LEC postseason match.  
Women’s Volleyball
The Volleyball program is off to a slow start. The team has an overall record of four and ten and an LEC record of one and one. The Beacons are just beginning to play the majority of their in-conference games. If they can stay at 500, they will likely be LEC contenders for the playoffs. Luckily, the Beacons have begun to find their footing in the past four games. In the four matches, UMB has won two convincingly, and lost two tight games. In their most recent game, UMB suffered a loss to a top team in the New England area, Babson. “We fought hard against Babson’s height. All their starters range between 5’9 and 6’2, but we fell short in the fourth,” said Captain Pepper Baker. “Again, our talent is there, and with Babson being a very dominant team in New England, I think we put up a great fight.”
Women’s Tennis
The Women’s Tennis team is off to a great start this year. Currently, the team is three and four overall. In-conference the team is 500, with a two and two record. The Beacons have just five regular season games left for the season and four of them are against Little East Conference opponents. If UMB can walk away with two wins in their final LEC matches, they are locked to make the playoffs.
Reaching the LEC postseason would be a great accomplishment for the team, especially considering that last year they fell short by just one match point. Coach Eric Berg seems excited about the possibility of a playoff appearance. He’s been with this group of girls for about three seasons now. “The girls have worked hard the past few years and it would be great to see some of them end their (Beacon) careers on a high note.”