66°

Security Cameras Installed on 3rd Floor Campus Center

New+Cameras
New Cameras

Last month, a student-lead initiative brought security cameras to the 3rd floor Campus Center in both the student clubs wing and the Student Activities and Leadership wing. If an accident, theft, or violence takes place, public safety will review the recordings, says Peter Bonitatibus, Director of Information Systems and Technology. 
“We just want you guys to be safe,” says Bonitatibus, a former police officer. He will have access to the live feed. 
The new security additions compliment a handful of cameras that have for a long time looked down from the front of the Student Activities and Leadership wing. 
Last spring, the laptop of a now-graduated student government senator was stolen. Public safety reviewed the footage from these preexisting cameras, identified the culprit, and arrested him. The victim was eventually reimbursed.
Ignacio Chaparro, the previous Undergraduate Student Government President, who graduated last spring, says the USG discussed the investment of security cameras over a period of four-years. Administrators were consulted and Chaparro considers the initiative a joint effort between the Student Government and the university.
He says the cost was around $10,000, and the decision was passed during a carry-forward legislation, where unused funds from the fall semester “rolled over” to spring. Other funds were used to invest in furniture and other student services. 
“The reasoning behind these cameras is that student safety is a priority.”
Bonitatibus says the administration hopes to expand the security camera system into the ballroom and cafeteria.