63°

MixFest: The Free Way to Have a Priceless Concert Experience

Musician Rob Thomas, main feature of MixFest 2015

Boston’s annual free music festival MixFest took place last Saturday, September 19 at the DCR Hatch Shell. It was a beautiful sunny day to hear live music on the Charles while spending time with friends and family.
 The festival is hosted by Mix 104.1, a local radio station of Boston that plays a variety of music from rock to today’s top hits. Hundreds of people eagerly came to see their favorite bands and musicians for no cost at all.
In the past, the festival featured big name artists like Backstreet Boys, Gavin Degraw, The Fray and Of Monsters and Men. Although it’s hard to beat the previous features, this year’s lineup did not disappoint. Staying true to its roots, the Boston-based concert opened the night with local artist Emily Desmond. Artists Rachel Platten, Vance Joy, Andy Grammar, and Third Eye Blind all had their time in the spotlight, and the show closed with the headliner, Rob Thomas.
 A crowd pleaser, Third Eye Blind performed some of their biggest hits, such as “Never Let You Go” and “Semi-Charmed Kind of Life.” And at the end, Rob Thomas showed off his musical skills with his hits “Little Wonders” and the catchy “Lonely No More.”
 People in charge of the show strongly advised audiences to take public transportation; to either get off at Charles/MGH on the Red Line or at Copley Station on the Green Line. Getting off at either of the two stations still left about 15 minutes of walking to the DCR, which was a bit of a hassle. But once inside the festival, there was plenty of delicious food and great music to listen to.
Although music performances started at 2 p.m., people began forming crowds and grabbing seats much earlier. The whole area was packed with people, creating an excellent vibe. After a certain point, areas of the Hatch Shell were blocked off for security reasons, but this didn’t stop people from coming. Those who came late sat on the grass or on the rafts, where they listened to the music, enjoyed the sun, and still had a great time.
For those planning on going next year, it’s better to head over early if you want a good view. This festival is well known and gets very crowded. But no matter when you go, it’s always a top-quality (and free) way to spend your day.