66°

Beacon Update- 3/27/12

Courtesy of Beacons Athletics

Baseball

6-3 (0-0 LEC)

The guys had a very respectable start to their 2012 campaign down in Florida. They won five of their eight games, including a hard fought 9-7 win in their opener over FDU Fordham despite not notching a single extra base hit. Starter Daniel Heefner was outstanding in his season debut, with one earned run over seven innings. Jamill Moquette has been the best batsman for the Beacons this year, with a .478 average and nine runs scored. Junior Matt Consiglio leads the team with 10 RBIs. After coming home from the successful trip, the guys traveled to Rhode Island, where they beat Johnson and Wales, 8-6. The team might have some defensive question marks, but so far 2012 has been solid.

Softball

5-4 (0-0 LEC)

Like the baseball team, the ladies traveled to Florida to begin their 2012 season. The trip had its ups and downs, but the Beacons came away with five wins in seven tough games against strong opponents. In their season opener against Indiana’s Grace College, senior Kara Willis tossed a complete game with three earned runs en route to a 4-3 Beacon win. The ladies continued their success well into the trip, including an 11-2 drubbing of Minnesota-Morris that was called after five innings. After heading back north, the ladies struggled in a doubleheader at Salem State, where they dropped both games. The two losses shouldn’t deter the ladies; they still have plenty of games left to play, and if last year was an indicator, 2012 will be successful.

Lacrosse 

1-2 (0-0 LEC)

The guys headed to Alabama to start their season. They had a tough test in their opener against Birmingham Southern College, which they lost 21-10. They managed to bounce back quickly, and stifled Huntington College in their next match, which they won 12-6. The guys are hoping for a much improved team, which will be led by senior goalie Anthony Fitti, who is also a captain of the Beacon hockey squad. Freshman mid-fielder Donny Delpha leads the team with 10 goals, and sophomore Cam Hanlon is leading the way with seven assists. The season is just getting started for the guys, but the schedule will be picking up in the coming weeks, so they’ll have a good guess of what direction the club will go to this season. 

Men’s Tennis

3-1 (0-0 LEC)

Following the lead of the other spring teams, the guys packed up their rackets, and headed south for a week. The guys chose Florida as their destination, and they played some exceptional tennis while they were down there. Although they dropped their opening match to Franklin and Marshall, they didn’t flounder and when on to sweep their next three contests, including an impressive, 9-0 trouncing of Curry College. Alex Loyer led the way with a flawless 4-0 individual record, and Charles Lai was also strong, having gone 3-1 so far. The guys will now begin the home season, and based on their performance in Florida, they should be very potent for the rest of 2012.