66°

Nothing Soft About It

Courtesy Of Beacons Athletics 

After an extremely successful season, players and coaches are most frequently asked, “can next year’s team keep winning?”  According to the Lady Beacons Softball Head Coach Natalia Ardagna, this year’s squad will have no trouble competing with last season’s 24-15 record.  In fact, she anticipates they will improve, citing personal goals as the most important ones to achieve.

The best returning offensive player for the Ladies will be junior Sue Killilea. She hit .378 in 2011 with 21 RBIs. Maria Nasta will also be very strong. The senior finished number one last season, with 35 RBIs. However, if there’s one thing that the Beacons can improve on in 2012, it’s their performance within the Little East Conference.

The team will rely heavily on their experienced upperclassmen this year. Ardagna said, “The core of our team last year has returned, which should help us use the success we had last year to continue forward. Our captains are seniors Maria Nasta and Lisa Polsonetti, and junior Sue Killilea. I am excited about their leadership and they know what it takes to be successful in the Little East Conference. I am glad that we have them to set the foundation we will need for continued success especially with the younger players this year.”

Though the team lost quite a few graduating players last year, in 2012 they gained five freshmen.  On the topic of younger players, Ardagna does not single out any particular freshmen she thinks will make a dramatic impact.  Instead, she says, “All of our new players are very talented, which is great because it give us some depth. Given the right opportunities they can all have a significant impact.” The team is also returning some sophomores who were valuable as rookies last year, especially Erika Vecchiet and Toni Scola, as well as Lowell’s own Lyndsey Capra.

When asked about the strengths of the team, Ardagna remains confident about the bullpen. “Our pitching will be the key to us staying in games. We have a solid pitching staff and we are confident in their abilities to get us where we need to be. Offensively we are very strong, which should help take some pressure off of the pitching staff and give them some support.” New recruits Michelle Zullo and Amber O’Brien will be joining senior Kara Willis on a staff that should anchor the squad this season.

The Beacons will travel to Claremont, Florida to open their season on March 11 at 3 p.m. versus Salve Regina. They play their first game at the Clark Center on March 28 against Framingham State.