66°

Beacon Update 4/24/12

Courtesy of Beacons Athletics

Baseball

16-11-1 (5-3 LEC)

The guys have had a pretty consistent stretch. They’ve 3-2-1 since the 10th.  A highlight game was on the 14th, when the guys shelled UMass Dartmouth 16-6 and the game was called after 7 innings. The guys have played some very tough, close games recently, including a 4-3 loss to Babson and a 7-5 win over Southern Maine. The best game of this stretch was a very rare 8-8 tie at Salem State. The guys battled for 11 innings before the game was called due to darkness. The guys have been led this season by Daniel Heefner, who has had a huge year on the mound. The junior has a 4-2 record with a 2.75 ERA over 36 innings pitched. The guys have another week and a half before they begin the LEC tournament, which they have a great shot at contending in.

Softball

14-12 (2-6 LEC)

The recent stretch couldn’t have started out better for the ladies. They thumped Gordon college in a double header, 18-7 and 21-0, respectively on the 11th. Their next double header against Simmons was cancelled due to weather. They were throttled by Eastern Connecticut on the 14th by a combined score of 13-0 over two games. In their final doubleheader this stretch, they split with Keene State, winning the last game in a pitchers dual, 2-1. Amanda Perry had an amazing offensive season for the ladies. She’s crushed 8 home runs and is batting an impressive .338. Junior captain Sue Killilea leads the ladies with an average of .391. The ladies will be a pretty low seed in the conference tournament, but they have shown flashes of brilliance this year and will be a tough team to play when May roles around.

Lacrosse

2-10 (1-3 LEC)

It’s been an uphill battle lately for the guys. They started off their last stretch with a 19-2 loss to Babson. They rebounded, however, and picked up their second win of the season at home in a shootout against UMass Dartmouth, 12-10. On Patriot’s Day, they came up short against Mt. Ida, 12-5 before dropping a tough one at home against Keene State, 17-1. Freshman midfielder Donnie Delpha has the team lead in goals with 22. Domenic Fichera is in second with 10, and Leo Ajemian has nine. Anthony Fitti has been good in goal, saving 56% of the shots he’s faced. The guys will begin the LEC tournament in a couple of weeks, and they will definitely be underdogs to whoever they face.

Men’s Tennis

8-3 (3-1 LEC)

The guys are very hot right now. They’ve won their last four matches, including three in the last two weeks. They smashed RIC 7-2 on the 14th, and beat Southern Maine 6-3 the next day. Their next match, against Salem State, went right down to the end, and they picked up a 5-4 win. It was the guys’ first win against Salem in six years. The guys already have their most wins since 2001 with fourmatches remaining, so this could very well be a record setting year for coach Berg’s squad. Charles Lai and Alex Loyer have both been fantastic for the Beacons this year, with 9-1 records. David Hernandez and Charles Lai have been the best doubles team this year, with a phenomenal 8-2 record.

Track and Field

The guys had a very strong showing on the 9th at the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs invitational. Of the 17 schools that participate, onlytwo fared better than the Beacons. The guys then headed out to the Northeastern University Solomon Invitational. Kebba Nasso set yet another Beacon record when he ran the 400 meters in an impressive 48.58 seconds. The team of Nasso, Hamza Abdul, Jake Kerin, and Henry Morales also set the record in the 4×400 relay with a blazing time of 3:24.18, adding to their astonishing season. On the women’s side, Jacqueline Conway matched her own Beacon record in the pole vault with a height of eight feet exactly. This is the just the latest fantastic stretch for the track team, which is having one of its best seasons ever.