63°

Best Vegetarian-geared restaurants in Boston

City+Feed+has+great+vegetarian+sandwiches+made+from+tofurkey+or+tempeh+
City Feed has great vegetarian sandwiches made from tofurkey or tempeh

There are many vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Boston but only a great few truly worthy of trying out. I’ve picked out three restaurants each conveniently located and reasonably priced all within the Boston area. Each one has delicious, animal friendly menus full of mouth-watering options just waiting to be tried.

First on my list is Sorella’s Breakfast~Lunch, a complete dive (I say this lovingly) located at 388 Centre St. in Jamaica Plain. Frequently called “Boston’s best breakfast” by its patrons, it is also one of Boston’s cheapest breakfasts. The menu at Sorella’s is HUGE, and simply a vegetarian’s dream, with “meatless pancake specials” and the option to replace any breakfast meat with tempeh or tofu.

Even when ordering an omelet one has the option of substituting eggs with tofu/tempeh and adding all the veggie fixings Sorella’s has to offer (which is a lot). Some omelets worth trying out are the “Athena Omelet” made up of feta cheese, black olives, spinach, shiitake mushrooms, tomatoes, and cucumber yogurt sauce, all topped with sprouts and “Philly Omelet” filled with smooth Philadelphia cream cheese.

Sorella’s also serves big portions of imaginative pancakes, crepes, and French toast. Along with the classics such as blueberry, banana, and chocolate chip pancakes, a stand out mix includes Ben’s Thunder Pancakes made with raspberries, bananas, and walnuts, then topped with whipped cream, coconut, strawberries, cinnamon, and nutmeg. A must try for French toast is the “Sesame, Apple, Banana, and Honey” combination.

Sorella’s breakfast includes free refills on coffee, real maple syrup with your pancakes or French toast, and the option of bottled or fresh-squeezed orange juice. The omelets start at $5.95 and go up to $7.95 without meat and depending on how much you add. Pancakes/French toast/and crepes range from $3.95-$7.95. Sorella’s is a classic breakfast joint cranking out cheap good food fast, with J.P.’s signature vegetarian options running aplenty. It’s open daily from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m., but don’t forget to bring cash, since Sorella’s doesn’t except credit cards!

Rating:****

Price: cheap

Public Transit: 39 Bus

Next on the list is one of Jamaica Plain’s new kids on the block, City Feed & Supply. Located at 672 Centre St. and only a short 10-minute walk from Sorella’s, this is City Feed’s second location (the first being on Boylston St). City Feed on Centre opened it doors on August 11, 2008 and both locations have continued to be a hit among J.P. residents.

A great spot for lunch, City Feed has the most amazing sandwiches for both meat lovers and vegetarians alike. Any cold cut can be replaced with Tofurkey (a vegetarian option to turkey made from tofu) or Tempeh (soybean patties). Some of my favorite sandwiches include the must-try tofurkey deli slices sandwich, consisting of veggie mayo, grain mustard, marinated onion, avocado, locally made red pepper relish, and red leaf lettuce on multi-grain, and the “Hot Pressed Turkey & Brie” sandwich, which includes smoked turkey [substitute tofurkey], brie, and sliced granny smith apple on foccacia.

Vegetarian sandwich prices range from $6.59-$7.59 (a steal considering the fresh, local ingredients, and the fact that vegetarian options are sometimes more expensive than regular meats). Not totally in the mood for a sandwich? City Feed has an array of salad options ($4.59), and both vegan and vegetarian soups ($2.99 a cup/ $3.59 a bowl). The deli is open from 7am-9pm on weekdays and 8am-8pm on weekends. While you’re in do some grocery-shopping, grab a cup of organic fair-trade coffee, or snag a vegan cranberry-oatmeal cookie for desert- they’re delicious!

Rating: *****

Price: moderate

Public Transit: 39 Bus

Finally Grasshopper Restaurant located on 1 North Beacon St. in Allston has a menu consisting exclusively of vegan dishes. Grasshopper serves delicious Vietnamese inspired cooking and is considered “the fast food” of vegan, offering an array of yummy, somewhat greasy Asian cuisine.

Some stand out dishes include “The No Name” a dish containing fried gluten and fresh steamed vegetables, tossed in a sweet and sour sauce and served with rice, the “Veggie-beef Fried Rice” which is even better than the real thing and contains vegan beef strips with vegetables and the “Veggie Chicken Fingers” which are heavily battered and deep fired served with a sweet and sour sauce.

Prices range from $3.50 to $12.45 and the menu contains over 100 items so you’re bound to find something you like. Something I recommend staying away from however would probably be the vegan seafood. Grasshopper is open Monday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. and has an all-you-can-eat buffet the third Sunday of every month with select items on the menu for just $9.00.

Rating: ****

Price: cheap

Public Transit: 193, 501, 503, 51, 57, 57A, 64,66 Buses

Three great restaurants: Sorella’s, City Feed, and Grasshopper, all located conveniently on public transit with great prices and great vegetarian options. Leave any of these three restaurants with a full belly and a full wallet guaranteed.