66°

Beacon Update 5/8

Photo courtesy of Beacons Athletics

Baseball

17-19-1 (5-7 LEC)

Up until recently, it looked like the guys were heading for a fantastic year. A six game losing streak has put a damper on an otherwise good record. The team enjoyed their high point for the year on April 25 with Kyle Szatrowski’s no hitter, the first in the 30-year history of the program. The team has had good run production, averaging nearly six per game. Jamil Moquette has had a great year at the plate with a .388 batting average and four homers. Daniel Heefner had a great season from the mound with a 2.76 ERA over 49 innings pitched. Michael Boughton was right behind him with a 3.38 ERA in eight starts. Some highlights for the guys this year were three straight games in which they scored 14 or more runs from April 5-7, and a very rare 8-8 tie in a game against Salem State that went 11 innings and was called due to darkness. Coach Eygabroat’s squad will begin the LEC tournament this weekend, and if they can get back to the form they had a few weeks ago, they will be serious contenders.

Softball

17-19 (3-11 LEC)

It’s been a tale of two seasons for the ladies. They had a sterling 14-8 record outside of the Little East, but struggled to get wins within the conference. They closed out the regular season with a pretty poor showing down the stretch, dropping seven of their last 10 games. The team has showed potential to do great things, like in their thrashing sweep of a double header against Gordon College on April 11, where they won their two games by a combined score of 39-7 in 10 innings total. The ladies had a hot start to the year in Florida, where they jumped out to a quick 4-0 record before heading back to MA. The story of the year at the plate for the ladies was their power-hitting freshman Amanda Perry, who hit .333 with 11 home runs and a team leading 37 RBIs. Junior captain Sue Killilea was also outstanding with the bat. She led the team with a fantastic .413 batting average and also had the team lead with nine steals. The team hasn’t fared well against the LEC this year but is hopeful that they can make a run for the conference crown.

Lacrosse

3-13 (1-6 LEC)

The guys had a pretty tough year. Despite getting an early win on a trip to Alabama, they had some struggles upon their return to MA. They had their biggest struggles offensively, only averaging 7.25 goals per game. The bright spot was Donny Delpha, who led the Beacons with 34 goals. Ryan McGoff wassecond on the team with 13. Anthony Fitti played well in goal, with a 54% save percentage. Freshman Henry Bristol also played fairly well, with a 54% save percentage as well. The guys scored their biggest win of the year against UMass Dartmouth, where they grabbed a 12-10 upset. The guys closed out their season right with their best offensive output of the season in a 24-4 thumping against Wheelock. There are definitely good pieces to build on for 2013, especially in goal with Henry Bristol having a season under his belt. Although they didn’t qualify for the tournament, the guys should be improved next season.

Men’s Tennis

8-7 (3-3 LEC)

The guys got off to an amazing start this year on their trip to Florida. They jumped out to a 4-1 record before heading back to MA. After returning, they dropped their next two before another four match win streak. They closed out the regular season on a down note with a four match losing street before beginning the LEC tournament with a match against Southern Maine. The fifth seeded Beacons fought hard, but were overpowered by the Huskies, who advanced with a 5-1 win at home. Charles Lai and Alex Loyer really carried the Beacons this year in single matches with a combined record of 21-6. In Doubles, the team of Lai and David Hernandex was dominant with a 10-4 record, including 7-3 in their last 10 matches of the year. This was a very good year for the guys and they have plenty to build on for the future. Coach Berg’s squad will be a force in the conference next year with their young talent and strong core of experienced athletes.

Track And Field

This was a season of unbelievable progress for the Beacons. They broke program records at every meet they entered, and had some very impressive finishes as a unit. They took third place out of 17 teams at the UMass Dartmouth Corsairs invitational on April 7, and fifth place at the LEC Championship Meet on the 28th. On the men’s side, an unbelievable eight new Beacons records were set this year. Kebba Nasso stepped up his game with a new mark in the 200 meter (22.15 seconds) and the 400 meter (48.58 seconds). Henry Morales broke the record in the 110 high hurdles on March 24 with 15.46 seconds. The ladies also had a great year as far as setting program records. The relay team of Leao, Kloczewiak, Faustin, and Konteh ran the 4×200 in 1:54.84 seconds on April 7. Jacqueline Conway set the program record in the pole vault with eight-foot jumps on April 7 and 14. The squad has had a fantastic year, and coach Walker has helped truly turn things around. Things will only continue to improve in 2013 for the Beacons, who are starting to be recognized as one of the premier teams in the Athletic Department.