63°

Back To The Diamond

Last year’s club finished 18-22, with an 8-6 record within the LEC. Coach Eygabroat is confident that the team has improved for 2012. Photo courtesy of Beacons Athletics.

The 2011 Beacon baseball team was a team that enjoyed major unexpected success. They fought through adversity and finished with a record that seemed to give the team things to look forward to. Unfortunately, five of the team’s best players graduated last year. That meant a lot of scouting had to be done to make up for the empty spots on the roster.

The scouts did a good job, according to the current head coach, Brendan Eygabroat. When asked about the incoming freshmen, Coach Eygabroat said, “We have 24 new players this year. We have a talented group [whom] we recruited after our College World Series run [in 2010]. It’s by far the best recruiting class we have ever landed. We have a deep squad, and some new faces should make an immediate impact if they continue to work hard.”

According to Eygabroat, the team’s turnover didn’t seem to faze them, although he admitted, “We lost a very good group of seniors in 2011. They were all major contributors to our success over the last few years. The loss of Ryan Walsh, who was a four-year starter, LEC player of the year, and [the] first team all-American will be tough to replace.” He added, “I don’t really have to replace guys since each team really has its own identity and makeup. I am excited about this team and look forward to seeing them compete this season”.

There is a sense of excitement that is shared between Coach Eygabroat and the squad this year. The team is filled with many fresh faces who can’t wait to make something out of their opportunity. They are mixed in with some experienced players and athletes, whom Eygabroat feels will have an impact on the team: “Our captains this year are Mark McCormack, Mike Mattei, and Tom Cole. McCormack has been an outstanding player since he arrived at UMass, and I am confident that his success will continue this year. He will be our on field leader and someone we expect to be a major contributor to our success.”

The squad will be practicing and playing in Waltham, Mass. throughout the season, but next year they will have a new ballpark right near the campus, at BC High. The Beacons are looking to make sure this season is a noteworthy one as they start getting ready to head down to Florida to start their season. The team is currently ranked fourth in the LEC preseason poll and are very optimistic about their future.

The Beacons start their season in Florida on Mar. 10. You can support them and show your Beacon pride by attending their first home game on Mar. 24 against Framingham State. Check out www.beaconsathletics.com or www.umassmedia.com for updates.