57°

Beacon Update 11/24/2012

Women’s Hockey

2-4-1 (2-3-1 ECAC)

It’s been a rough stretch for the ladies. With Kayla Kiernan down last week with an elbow issue, they skated to a 2-2 tie with Holy Cross before dropping matches against Salve Regina and Norwich by a combined score of 12-1. They righted the ship the night after the Norwich game with a wild 5-4 win on the road at St. Michaels. Kayla Kiernan, back from injury, scored twice and Emily LaRosa added another goal in the win. In their last game before the Thanksgiving break, they lost at Bowdoin 4-1. The play in goal has been shaky but the ladies haven’t had an issue finding the back of the net. If they can shore up the defense, they’ll start winning matches and lots of them. They may have found an answer in Kailyn Burke, who started her first career game in the St. Michaels win. We’ll see if Coach Harris decides to give her more ice time.

Men’s Hockey

3-2-1 (1-2-1 ECAC)

Putting the puck in the net sure hasn’t been an issue for the boys lately. They’ve scored a ridiculous 22 goals in their last 4 matches and are averaging an incredible 5.3 goals per game this season. They have had their struggles in the net, however. They skated to a 4-4 tie with Skidmore on Nov. 17 before exploding on Framingham State en route to a 9-4 win. Peter MacIntyre and Mike DeGrazia each recorded hat tricks in the drubbing. The guys know they have no trouble scoring, but they need to solve their defensive issues if they want to have any hopes of going far in the conference, which is one of the toughest in the country.

Volleyball 

20-12 (6-1 LEC)

The 2012 LEC champion Lady Beacons traveled to Michigan to participate in the national round of the NCAA tournament. They got to that point by hard fought, five-set wins over Connecticut College and familiar foe Bowdoin in the second round and regional championships matches respectively. After traveling to Michigan, they lost to Christopher Newport in the elite eight, ending a fantastic run. The ladies faced so much adversity this year it’s a wonder that they even made it as far as they did. They weren’t able to play any matches at home due to construction. They had to host their own tournament at Tufts and even had to host the LEC tournament at a high school in Quincy. With all of those setbacks, the ladies rallied and put together quite the year. This season also marked the end of the fantastic career of Shannon Thompson, who is leaving with just about every volleyball record in the Beacons’ book. Coach Condon’s squad has plenty to be proud of this year, and we know that they’ll be more than ready to play in a new gym in 2013.