63°

Beacon Update 10/30/12

Men’s Soccer

5-9-2 (1-5 LEC)

The guys have greatly improved over the last few weeks. They are 2-1 since Oct.10, but the one loss was a 7-0 shellacking at the hands of Eastern Connecticut on the 13th. They managed to follow that up with a great showing at home against Western Connecticut with Bryce Menard posting the shutout. The guys have made strides during this season, but they still came up short in the end. The scoring was distributed pretty evenly over the roster, but top scorer Brian Sanz will graduate. Interestingly, last year’s stellar goaltender, Brycen Dowd, started a few games at Midfield, and he even scored a few goals, so it’ll be interesting to see how he begins the next season, because Bryce Menard got the majority of the work in net this year.

Volleyball

15-8 (7-2 LEC)

The ladies have remained hot over the last 2 weeks. They had a rough start, losing matches at the Beacons Invitational (played at Tufts) to Southwestern and Christopher Newport 3-0, respectively. They bounced back with a 3-0 win over Western Connecticut in a match played at BC High. After a 3-1 win over Keene State, they lost yet another road game at Plymouth State in a close one, 3-2. They’ll be closing out their regular season this weekend with a trip to Atlanta to play in a tournament hosted by Emory University. They still have a great chance to win the LEC and possibly earn a berth in the NCAA tournament, so we’ll stay tuned.

Women’s Soccer (By Nick Dayal)

15-2 (5-1 LEC)

Forget about that Red Sox misery and forget about your midterms—the girls’ soccer team is having a record-breaking season. They broke into the top 25 of the national rankings in the D3soccer.com National Poll for the first time in program history. Their 15-2 record is the best in the Conference, and also has broken the team record for wins in a season.

The team is young and incredibly talented, holding the top spots across the board in conference leader categories. Sophomore Krista Ledin is leading the LEC in points and goals with 46 and 20, respectively. Junior Tayla Andrews is close behind in second with 36 points and 14 goals. The Beacons hold the second, third, and fourth top spots in assists in the conference with Andrews in second with 8, followed by junior Sam Cristoforo and junior Julie Nutting, both with 7. Sophomore goalie Kristen Spain has the fourth lowest goals-against average in the conference. The ladies are on track to bring home UMass Boston’s first-ever LEC regular season title, and should be huge favorites going into the conference championship with an NCAA tournament berth at stake.