66°

Beacon Update 9/18

Men’s Soccer

2-2-1

The guys started the season with a disappointing loss against Suffolk in the rain at home. The 4-1 loss came as a bit of a shock to the Beacons, who boasted a fantastic defense last season. The guys quickly shook it off and traveled to Emmanuel for a match on Sept. 6. The game was a thriller. The guys came back from a 2-0 deficit and the match ended in a draw after two overtimes, 2-2. Brycen Dowd was clutch down the stretch in goal, with four saves. After another loss at Husson University, the guys rattled off back-to-back wins over Maine Maritime, 3-2, and an impressive 3-0 trouncing of Fitchburg State on the road. Victor Hugo Costa and Douglas Silveria share the early lead for goals this year with two apiece. The guys will begin conference play soon, so we will have a much better idea of where they’re at in the next few weeks.

Women’s Soccer 

4-0

The ladies are off to one of the best starts in the history of the program. They outscored their opponents in their first two matches by a combined score of 12-3. They opened with a 6-1 thumping of MCLA at home, led by hat tricks from Tayla Andrews and Krista Ledin. They then dismantled Eastern Nazarene in Quincy, 6-2. Krista Ledin had a monster game, with a role in all but one of the Beacons’ scores. She assisted on two goals as well as notching her second straight hat trick. The Beacons’ third match, at University Of New England, was much tougher. The ladies played to a 0-0 tie at the end of regulation, but the Beacons finally put away UNE in the 2nd overtime to sneak away with a 1-0 win. Meghan O’Connell netted the game winner and Kristen Spain was amazing in goal, recording her first shutout of the year. They won their next match over Western New England in a squeaker, putting them at 4-0. If the ladies keep this level of play up for a while, they could very well see a national ranking in their near future. 

Women’s Tennis

1-1

So far, the only tennis the ladies have played this year was during their trip to Vermont at the end of August. They’ve split two very tight 5-4 matches. In a match against Johnson State that was moved indoors due to rain, they pulled out a win, led by co-captains Sam Counts and Hieu Nguyen winning their game in doubles. The next day, they dropped their match against Castleton State, despite another win from Counts and Nguyen. An issue this year will be a lack of man power. Only five players made the trip to Vermont, but the team is expected to bring on new members soon.

Volleyball 

5-4

The Beacons have had an uncharacteristically slow start this year. They went 1-3 in four matches to begin their season in California. The competition was very steep, and the largely Californian team played hard in front of friends and family. After returning to the Eastern Seaboard the ladies began to dominate in their usual fashion. After polishing off Middlebury and Williams, 3-0 each, they edged Gallaudet 3-2. Although they did lose to Bowdoin 3-1, the ladies bounced back and demolished Colby Sawyer 3-0. If this group gets hot, watch out. They have the potential to win out for the rest of the regular season. Although they’re 5-4, don’t sleep on the Beacons. Coach Terry Condon has the ladies playing well again and they should do some damage in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.