66°

Perks of Living at Home While In College

Living at home provides certain perks that Harbor Point and the Peninsula appartments may not

Living at home while in college is a great thing to take advantage of. Despite the look your classmates give you when you say you live with family or the fact you can’t bring anyone home after hitting up bars, living at home is a thing many people seem to disregard and discourage. I’m here to offer some perks to the situation.
Everyone loves home-cooked meals. No matter which home, food that isn’t cold leftovers or from a Ramen container are eaten with a smile. Living at home provides such joy on a daily basis. Eating out is unnecessary with access to a home cooked meal everyday.
Warm, fresh, healthy home-cooked meals present themselves as a natural remedy for bad days, grumpy weather and unwelcome tests. Not to mention, it’s free of charge, meaning a trip to the grocery store with the family becomes “pick whatever you want because it’s not going on your debit card.”
Paying for food will be just a memory, knowing all it takes is going home in order to feast. And anyway, cooking can be so time-consuming that as a student, your time is better spent logged in to Facebook or pinning things to your Pinterest board during class. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
I can’t tell you how many times I have forgotten to set my alarm for the next day. I have cut it so close when it comes to leaving my house to catch the bus. The phrase, “Welina, shouldn’t you be gone by now?” has saved me more times than I can count. For that, the credit goes to my mother.
I wouldn’t have minded skipping class and sleeping in some days, but if I lived alone, I would have no one holding me accountable. No roommate, no sister, and no mom to shake me from my slumber and push me to go to class.
For most people, rent means emptying out your bank account to pay someone you don’t know to live in an apartment that probably isn’t all that comfortable. As someone who lives at home, this will never be a major worry. The room I grew up in has now become my office space and my personal area to relax. It’s a familiar place I can go to. Let’s just hope your childhood bedroom doesn’t have unicorns and rainbows in it (not that there’s anything wrong with that…)
If you have a job, and live at home, you will never be concerned about putting aside a certain amount of money to put towards rent. Living expenses are low because, well, your parents are paying the electricity bill, the mortgage, cable bill, and any other expenses that come standard with housing. The most frequent thing I hear when I tell people I live at home is, “Good for you! You’re saving so much money.” And I am.