63°

African American Theatre Festival

Our Place Theatre Project, a non-profit youth theatre arts organization in Boston, is presenting the 2008 African American Theatre Festival. The festival features three productions, showcasing the work of Charles Fuller, Celeste Bedford Walker and Jacqui Parker. It started Jan. 24, and will be running until Feb. 9.

The festival opened with Fuller’s play “Zooman and the Sign,” directed by Parker, about a family and their life after their 12-year-old daughter was killed by a stray bullet. It follows the family and the frustration they feel when none of the neighbors comes forward with information, leading to aggression among neighbors.

The show times for “Zooman and the Sign” are Jan. 30 at 7:30 p.m., Jan. 31 at 8 p.m., Feb. 7-8 at 8 p.m. and Feb. 9 at 4 p.m. and again at 8 p.m. Also, there is a special rate for students and seniors on Wednesdays and Thursdays, where the show will cost them $14.

The second production of the festival to start its run is “Feather on My Arms… Zora Neale Flying High,” written and directed by Parker, Our Place Theatre Project’s artistic director. The play focuses on author Zora Neale Hurston’s journey through life during the Harlem Renaissance.

Parker’s original production opened to a private showing on Jan. 26, but has a showing for the public on Feb. 1 at 8 p.m.

The final production to go on stage is Walker’s “Camp Logan,” based on the largest court-martial in military history, directed by Chuck Patterson and featuring a cast from New York. “Camp Logan” is the story of the 24th Infantry, an all-black unit from World War I, which, instead of fighting in France during the war, was sent to Texas to become laborers.

“Camp Logan” is scheduled for three shows only; Feb. 2 at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Feb. 3 at 3 p.m.

All show tickets for adults are $38; seniors and children get a $10 discount. To purchase tickets, call 617-933-8600 or visit bostontheatrescene.com.