81°

Eastern Connecticut State Blanks Beacons 2-0

The Warriors of Eastern Connecticut State College scored two goals in the second half as they defeated the UMass Beacons last Saturday 2-0 in a Little East Conference match. The loss dropped the Beacons to 4-10 overall, and 1-3 in conference play.

The ECS offense began the day by having their midfielders send long passes downfield to their forwards, but the passes did not connect. The UMass offense was stopped by the Warrior defenders before any serious threat could be formed. The teams took turns with offensive attacks.

The Warriors began to pick up the play and their forwards demonstrated a lot of patience and poise. The midfielders of ECS directed the play, biding their time for a chance. But Beacons goalkeeper Orlando Torres made several nice grabs and saves to keep the game scoreless.

The second half did not begin well for the Beacons. The Warriors had managed to drive the ball very close to the Beacons goal. Torres had made the initial stop, but he

Jason Campos served as The Mass Media staff for the following years and positions: Editor-in-Chief: 2003-2004; Managing Editor: 2002-2003; and Sports Editor: 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 Disclaimer: Years served is based on online database and may not detail entire service.