63°

Open Letters

Whereas the tenured faculty of CPCS held an externally-supervised, secret-ballot vote of confidence/no confidence in Adenrele Awotona on February 13 and 14, 2006, in which 18 of 25 tenured faculty participated (72%), and all 18 voted no confidence, and

Whereas the entire bargaining-unit staff and faculty of CPCS held an externally-supervised, secret-ballot vote of confidence/no confidence in Adenrele Awotona on February 15 and 16, 2006, in which 46 of 66 eligible staff and faculty picked up ballots, 45 submitted ballots (69%), and all 45 voted no confidence, and

Whereas Dean Adenrele Awotona has continued to engage in all of the types of actions that led to the votes being conducted and the results thereof, and

Whereas the Provost and Chancellor of U Mass Boston have declared that they fully support Adenrele Awotona as Dean of CPCS, despite the votes of no confidence and despite his actions that led to the votes and since the votes,

Now therefore, the CPCS Policy Board calls for the establishment of an independent commission of respected community leaders and non-CPCS faculty with the following charges:

1. To evaluate the performance of Adenrele Awotona as Dean of CPCS, in relation to the job description of the position, the CPCS Mission Statement, the CPCS Constitution and the CPCS AQUAAD report;

2. To investigate the circumstances of the hiring of Adenrele Awotona as Dean of CPCS, including his performance in his previous position, his termination from his previous position, and the nature and extent of the Provost’s Office examination of Awotona’s previous performance and termination;

3. To investigate the validity of Awotona’s allegations of racially hostile statements and personal physical threats;

4. To review documentary evidence and take written and oral testimony from any interested parties with regard to the above matters;

5. To issue a public report no later than June 1, 2006.

Said commission is to be constituted by April 1, 2006 if at all possible. Individuals shall be asked to serve and appointed jointly by the CPCS Policy Board and the U Mass Boston Chancellor. If the Chancellor refuses to participate in the process, the CPCS Policy Board shall ask individuals to serve and appoint them to the commission.