66°

Sports Briefs

Women’s VolleyballUMASS BOSTON VOLLEYBALL COMES BACK TO DEFEAT LASELL, 3-2

NEWTON, MA – The University of Massachusetts Boston volleyball team overcame a 2-0 deficit, dropping the first two games, 30-25 and 30-27, before rallying to take the final three games, 30-28, 30-22 and 15-7 to complete a 3-2 victory over host Lasell College tonight, at the campus of Lasell College in Newton, MA. The Beacons win their eighth straight match and have won 14 of their last 16 to improve to 16-7 on the season. UMB’s win streak is its longest since 1999 when the squad reeled off nine in a row. The Lasers fall to 9-10 on the year.

Women’s SoccerSECOND HALF EXPLOSION FUELS EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE WOMEN’S SOCCER OVER UMASS BOSTON, 8-1

BOSTON, MA – Senior Michelle Read (Wallingford, CT) and sophomores Kaytee Zielinski (South Windsor, CT) and Meghan Ryczek (East Haddam, CT) each tallied a pair of goals to lead the Eastern Connecticut State University women’s soccer team over host University of Massachusetts Boston in a Little East Conference contest this afternoon, 8-1, at the Clark Athletic Center on the campus of UMass Boston. The Beacons fall to 2-10-0 overall and 0-5-0 in LEC play, while the Warriors netted seven of their goals in the second half to win their fourth straight match and improve to 9-5-0 and 4-1-0.

Cross CountryUMASS BOSTON’S SHAPIRO NAMED LITTLE EAST CONFERENCE WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY RUNNER OF THE WEEK AGAIN

PROVIDENCE, RI – University of Massachusetts Boston women’s cross country runner Sarah Shapiro (Weymouth, MA) has been named Little East Conference Runner of the Week for her performance during the week of October 9-15, it was announced today. It’s the second time this season that she has earned the award after taking the honor for the week of September 4-10 as well.