56°

Stay Fabulous

Stay Fabulous

The first glistening layer of snow has fallen, and the semester is coming to an end. A seemingly beautiful scenario, which more realistically sounds something like this, “It’s wicked cold and I think that my teachers are actually trying to harm me with the amount of work that they are assigning”. If you are feeling a little less than fab at this time, my darlings, you are not alone. The sun is setting so early that it appears to be midnight by the time we get home from school. The pressure from finals is dreadful, and holiday shopping is nearly impossible at this busy time. Should we succumb to the gray destiny presented before us? No, my darlings, when life gives you lemons, make limoncello. It’s time for a fabulous celebration of ourselves!

It’s all about creating an exquisite atmosphere and surrounding yourself with beautiful things. And while I could easily mention marvelous ways to spend millions, there are absolutely wonderful ways of adding opulence to your life without spending much money. Take a trip to the Museum Of Fine Arts (it’s free with your student ID) and wander around the Paris Fashion Exhibit. Become immersed in all the glamour of the exquisite couture. Bundle up in your coziest clothes and go ice-skating among the twinkling city lights at Frog Pond in the Boston Public Garden. Bring a camera and have your prints developed in black and white to capture a gorgeous Old Hollywood image. You can also have a breathtaking experience while 52 stories high at the Top of the Hub restaurant at the Prudential Center, where you can see beautiful scenes of the Charles River and never-ending views of Boston and neighboring cities. If you’re longing for absolute fabulousness, nothing is more opulent than cozying up in the plush window-seats at the Ritz Carlton, while drinking a cup of soothing tea and watching the snow fall. Though the people around you will likely be spending hundreds on Moet and lobster, you can just as wonderfully be sipping a $6 cup of imported tea. Don’t ever feel intimidated by these people or places, just think, they should be honored to be in your marvelous presence.

And even while at home, treat yourself fabulously. Drink your morning orange juice out of a crystal champagne glass, blare your favorite song and dance around your room in a gorgeous dress. And if you must clean your house, then why not do it in a tiara? You get the picture, darlings. It’s very important to take care of ourselves during these busy times. As for fashion, while I do understand that it is absolutely frigid outside, resort collections, created for the blessed jet-setters who are lounging on cruise ships while we are scraping the ice off our windshields, can make you feel incredibly chic at this time of year. A luminous collection of silky blouses and wrap dresses in sapphire, lilac, gold, and silver will brighten up your complexion, and bring a little warm St. Tropez glamour into your life.

Tunics worn with or without leggings are a low-key, yet exceptionally glam look that can be effortlessly dressed up with glistening gold accessories. And when you don’t have time to style your hair, silk headbands are a chic way to sweep up your tresses.

Any little black dressed can be amazingly modernized when teamed up with towering heels in dazzling colors and a matching clutch. The key to any of the alluring looks this season is balance. If you are wearing a fabulous gown, have your hair and makeup soft, and if you are wearing a simple outfit, have your hair and makeup done glamorously.

So as this busy semester comes to an end, be sure to relax and enjoy a splendid moment for yourself. Swathe yourself in the silken garments of the season, and enjoy the last few moments of the sun. Whether you are sipping tea at the Ritz, or washing dishes in a tiara, remember, you are fabulous. Though it may seem like your teachers, parents, and bosses may be greatly influencing your life, you my darlings, are in control. Have fun, stay fab, and create the most beautiful life imaginable.