66°

Sports Briefs

Sports Briefs

UMASS BOSTON’S TURNER NAMED ECAC EAST WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY PLAYER OF THE WEEK CENTERVILLE, MA – University of Massachusetts Boston women’s ice hockey player Casey Turner (Melrose, MA) has been named the Eastern College Athletic Conference East Player of the Week for the week of November 27 to December 3, it was announced today. In three games on the week, the junior enjoyed the best week of her career, tallying 12 points on five goals and seven assists to average 4.0 points per outing. The forward began the week with a pair of assists in the Beacons’ 3-3 tie with Colby College on November 29 and capped the week with a huge weekend in Vermont. The Charles River girl’s hockey product netted a school-record tying four goals in UMass Boston’s 8-1 victory at Castleton State College on December 2 and came back the following day to register a school-record matching six points on a goal and five assists in the Beacons’ 9-3 win at Saint Michael’s College. Her point total is the most-ever by a junior at UMB and her five assists establishes a new record for any player to wear the Beacon blue.

UMASS BOSTON’S DONOVAN NAMED ECAC EAST MEN’S ICE HOCKEY ROOKIE OF THE WEEKCENTERVILLE, MA – University of Massachusetts Boston men’s ice hockey player Ryan Donovan (Rexford, NY) has been named the Eastern College Athletic Conference East Rookie of the Week for the week of November 27 to December 3, it was announced today. Donovan was impressive between the pipes, making 136 saves in three games for an average of 45.3 per game. The freshman stopped 52 shots in 54:24 of action vs. Trinity College (CT) on December 1 and came back the next day to make 55 saves in 60 minutes vs. Wesleyan University to give him 107 saves in a span of 22 hours. A former member of the Hartford Wolfpack in the American Junior Hockey League, he also turned away 29 shots, while allowing just two goals in 58:43 vs. Framingham State College on November 28. All tolled, he posted a .938 save percentage and maintained a 3.12 goals against average for the week.

TUCKER NAMED LITTLE EAST CONFERENCE WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK PROVIDENCE, RI – University of Massachusetts Boston women’s basketball player LaKeisha Tucker (Pawtucket, RI) has been named the Little East Conference Player of the Week for the week of November 27 to December 3, it was announced today. In the Beacons’ only game of the week, Tucker was instrumental in the team’s 93-86 overtime victory over visiting Eastern Connecticut State University on December 2. The win was one of the most significant in the program’s recent history, having snapped a 26-game losing streak to the Warriors, who had not lost to UMass Boston since a 57-51 defeat in Boston on February 19, 1994. The shooting guard came off the bench to net 20 points, including nine of the team’s 13 points in overtime. She shot 63% (5-8) from the floor, including 60% (3-5) from three-point range and was 7-10 from the line. The junior also added four rebounds and four assists to her afternoon.