66°

Ahts Enhance Life at the Boston Art Festival’s Fifth Year

Ahts Enhance Life at the Boston Art Festivals Fifth Year

Art geeks of the city listen up! The Christopher Columbus Park you know and love will be transformed into a magnificent and lively artists’ village packed with die-hard art aficionados and casual observers from all over the world. The metamorphosis is due to the fifth annual (ahts): The Boston Arts Festival. From Sept. 8 to 9, more than 70 visual artists and crafts people will exhibit their talent and sell their creations. Also adding to the already culture-rich atmosphere are several performances will be held on the park’s waterfront stage.

The festival, produced by the Mayor’s Office of Arts, Tourism & Special Events, began in 2003 as a one-day event and has grown every year. To celebrate its fifth year, the festival is proudly presenting a number of new additions, including a public art project and the inclusion of artisan foods. Offering something for everyone in a diverse atmosphere, connoisseurs, tourists and locals alike will flock to the event to purchase a painting, a photograph or to get a sneak peek at the fall season for the various performing arts groups. The picturesque park will play host to a myriad of painters, photographers and storytellers. It will also feature a number of activities for children including face painters and children’s theater.

The festival uniquely presents big-name organizations like the Boston Ballet and the Boston Pops Ensemble, along side lesser-known, up-and-coming artists who get a terrific opportunity to display their work to an audience of thousands. It is a valuable opportunity for them, as in the past, exhibiting artists have used the event to sell their creations, establish a name for themselves and gain invitations to participate in other exhibitions in the process.

Boston is a city that prides itself on its culture and tradition, and (ahts): The Boston Arts Festival is quickly becoming a fundamental destination for culture seekers from far beyond the Boston area. It is a great chance for the people of the city to get some free exposure to the rich and varied culture that makes the city of Boston so great-something which usually comes with a steep price tag.

For more information on the festival visit: www.cityofboston.gov/arts