66°

Style Spotter

John Gervais, a UMass Boston freshman, an art major, and a fashion designer.

Style Spotter: John Gervais 
John Gervais, a University of Massachusetts Boston first-year student, was spotted by the Mass Media Style Spotter. He is an art major and is expected to graduate in 2021. 
He is wearing an overcoat with plaid pants. He wore a unique sweater underneath his coat and a pair of black boots. He is a designer and has designed costumes for multiple middle and high school plays. 
His overcoat was designed originally by Belstaff, a British clothing company. The style of the coat is the Milford. Actually, it was sold out before 2010, but his friend Chat Yeung found the weavers that made the fabric and commissioned them to make more. Then, Yeung contacted the BBC production crew and received the original coat and replicated it. His coat is in the third series of “Sherlock.” His pants were custom made by Mendoza Menswear. 
He buys his clothes both from designers and other shops. He buys clothes from Paul Smith, a British designer, and from ALLSAINTS. 
“I buy a lot of clothes from [there]; they are a very popular brand used on T.V. shows, because they are very fashionable, and they evolve through time. They are also very sturdy, comfortable, and functional. So not only do they meet the mark for appearance, which makes them great on T.V., they are also comfortable and high quality, which makes them great for daily use,” said Gervais. 
He gets a lot of inspiration from David Bowie. He sets a basic template for either casual or formal outfits for the week. He purposely uses one unique garment to clash with the rest of the outfit to make it stands out, but it doesn’t look like it doesn’t fit the rest of the clothes.