66°

Brown and Tatum: The Young Spark Boston Needs

Jayson Tatum, playing in the 2016 All American Game in which he scored 18 points.

After the first 11 games this season, the Boston Celtics have an NBA-best record of 9-2. This is due in large part to their two top-three draft picks, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. We all knew Brown was going to have to step his game up this year, but after Gordon Hayward went down on opening night, it was clear that Brown and Tatum would have to grow up quickly. I’m not sure if anyone could have seen this coming, but they have played like a couple of grizzled veterans.
Brown and Tatum have settled into their roles on the team and have become essential players. Brown is averaging 31.5 minutes per game while Tatum is averaging 31.6 minutes. Both have started in all 11 games, but more importantly, their production has been notable. Brown is the second best scorer on the team, with 15.4 points per game, while Tatum is not far behind at 14.3 points. It’s not too rare to see rookies or second year players getting big minutes and putting up numbers, but that’s often seen only on bad teams with few productive players. These two are contributing to a team that is arguably better than any other team in the league. Also, when we see young players with good statistics, they’re usually taking a lot of shots or turning the ball over frequently. In this case, Brown and Tatum have been unbelievably efficient at both taking care of the ball and shooting the ball.
Brown is shooting 46 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three-point land. Tatum has been even more impressive, shooting 50 percent from the floor and an incredible 53 percent from downtown. These numbers speak for themselves, but even if you put the numbers to the side, they pass the eye test as well. For example, while playing in Atlanta, Tatum put up two three-pointers down the stretch to help clinch the victory. Throughout the season, Brown has been absorbing contact and getting to the free throw line. Sure, the two have a lot of room for improvement, but they are way ahead of schedule.
As far as the rest of the season goes, I think it is reasonable to expect that Brown will keep this pace and continue to be effective for the rest of the way. Since he’s already been through a full 82-game season, he should understand how to deal with the highs and lows. As for Tatum, he’s coming off of a college season, during which he missed nine games, only playing about two-thirds of the year. It would be remarkable if he could maintain this level of play for his entire rookie season. He will most likely have a drop off, but the most important thing is that he continues to learn and gain experience.
The Celtics will need the two of them to stay healthy and keep contributing if they want to make a real playoff run. With the absence of Hayward, the team will need more than just Al Horford and Kyrie Irving. Whether the Celtics make a legitimate run at the Finals this year or not, you should be excited about the bright future that Brown and Tatum have in green.