63°

Experience as A USG Speaker

During my two terms as a student senator, I’ve really tried to embrace all of the unique perspectives that the University of Massachusetts Boston brings together. The Undergraduate Student Government represents such a diverse and talented population, and I believe that we deserve to see that diversity shown at the highest levels of student leadership. Since becoming a senator, and more recently becoming the Speaker of the Student Government, I’ve come to realize that UMass Boston is ripe with rich engagement and networking opportunities for its students. My largest accomplishment since becoming Speaker has been laying the foundation for Open Education Resources (OERs) at UMass Boston. OERs are free and low-cost textbook programs that save students thousands of dollars in textbook costs, while generating a lot of revenue for UMass Boston. As a graduating senior, I know that I will not see the fruits of OERs on campus, but I find comfort in knowing that if our work helps future Beacons graduate, then this program is worth every ounce of effort I had to give. Frankly, it was not until I joined the Student Government that I was really able to see all of the hidden value of this university, as I’ve found pride in making a real impact on campus, established a strong professional network, and made life-long friendships as a part of the Undergraduate Student Government.