51°

Beacons Lacrosse Lose 12–10 to Castleton University

Beacons Lacrosse Lose 12-10 to Castleton University

Wednesday, April 3—With the final score being 1210, the University of Massachusetts Boston lacrosse team had a close loss against Castleton University at their home field. A tight game the entire time, UMass Boston’s dry fourth quarter determined Castleton’s win. The Castleton Spartans’ last two goals were scored by Cameron Russell—assisted by Colin Clark—and Clark with an assist from Kyle Lutinski. 
Freshman Jeremy Girard had a big game for UMass Boston, posting two goals and a pair of assists on the day. Along with freshman Donny Bickford, sophomores Conor Lenfest and Jack Riley all were able to score two goals apiece in the loss. Junior Cam Hladick and sophomore Joe Meyers both added a goal each as well. 
The Beacons started off the game strong with five points in the first quarter. Jack Riley scored the first of the game with an assist from junior Derek Caruso. Castleton was not too far behind, with a total of four points leading into the second quarter. Both of the teams were tied at seven by the half. The rest of the game, both teams slowed down in their point scoring, although the last quarter decided the victor. The Beacons took a 10–9 lead heading into the fourth quarter, but unfortunately they were held scoreless in the final 15 minutes of play. Meanwhile, Castleton rallied for three goals, and won the battle thanks to the late comeback. 
Even though this game rung in as the Beacons seventh straight loss, the team still has time to turn the year around. This is only the second home game of the season; they have the benefit of having four more contests held here at UMass Boston. Their problem this game was keeping possession of the ball, but for future games the Beacons need to limit turnovers and control their sticks in order to stop unnecessary fouls.
This week, UMass Boston will host Salem State University on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Salem State is a conference opponent, which puts even more emphasis on this game, considering the Beacons have a winless conference record of 0–3. Later in the week, they will travel to Eastern Connecticut State University, another conference foe, for a game at 7 p.m. If UMass Boston could put together a couple of wins, perhaps they could find the momentum they need to go on an improbable run down the stretch of the season.