66°

Beacon Update

Lacrosse: The UMB lacrosse team really came together and went on a nice run to end the year. After starting the season 2-13, the Beacons were faced with the possibility of not making the postseason with just two games to go. They needed to win back to back games against the University of Southern Maine and Western Connecticut State University, and they did just that. The Beacons snuck into the LEC Tournament as the six seed, setting them up for another matchup with the three-seeded Western Connecticut State University. Thanks in large part to four goals from junior Ned Parker, the Beacons were able to win yet again over Western Connecticut; sending them to the Little East Conference semifinals.  That was where UMB met two-seeded Plymouth State University, whom ultimately ended the run. The Beacons fell 21-14 and were eliminated from postseason play. It is never fun to lose, but making it as far as UMass Boston did after a not so exciting year goes to show the fight each and every player on the roster shares. 
Tennis: After going 7-0 in conference play throughout the regular season, the Beacons earned the number one seed for the LEC Tournament. They were the clear cut favorites to come out of the LEC as they really had not been involved in a tight conference match all year long; which of course adds some pressure due to the high expectations. Well apparently UMB did not feel the pressure, literally sweeping through the entire tournament. They took on UMass Dartmouth in the semifinals, and the Beacons skated by as they won 5-0. In the conference championship, UMass Boston met two-seeded Salem State University. Once again, the Beacons cruised through the match and won 5-0 for a second straight time. Sophomore Miguel Beltran won Most Outstanding Player of the tournament as he dominated both of his matchups. The LEC Champion Beacons have now punched their ticket to the NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Tournament.
Softball: A very exciting season came to a sad end for UMB softball last weekend, as they lost in the championship series of the LEC Tournament. The Beacons made it to the final day of the tournament, where they eliminated the number one seed in UMass Dartmouth, 9-1. That set UMB up for a championship matchup with Eastern Connecticut State University, whom the Beacons would have had to beat twice in a row in order to win the championship. Unfortunately, Eastern Connecticut was simply too much for them, silencing UMB with a final score of 8-0. It would have been UMass Boston’s third straight Little East Conference Title; a truly impressive feat to even put themselves in position for that opportunity. 
Baseball: The Beacons baseball team went on an 11 game winning streak almost to end the regular season, before losing 6-5 to Brandeis University in their final game. Regardless of the loss, UMB will be heading into the LEC tournament red hot and hungry for a title. They finished the year with a conference record of 13-3, giving them the two seed – only second to the University of Southern Maine, whom will host the tournament. The first game for UMass Boston will be played Wednesday at 3:30 PM against UMass Dartmouth. In their first meeting this year, UMass Dartmouth was able to win 8-2. With that said, it was much earlier in the season. In the two teams’ most recent matchup, UMB came out victorious as they won 7-1. The Beacons have been waiting all year for postseason play, where they have had a lot of success in recent years.