63°

Advice To Entering Freshman Living In The Dorms

Grace Smith: “Make friends with the people on your floor! It’ll be nice to have a familiar face around campus in your first few weeks here.”

Jonathan Hopkins:”Don’t go too crazy with your dining points, or else you will end up with no money for food by the end of the semester. For the past month, my friends have been asking me to get them food at the UMarket because they spent all their dining points too early.”

Shanarah Bargan: “Communicate. With. And. Respect. Your. Roommate(s). I have heard of so many fights that could have been avoided if people had just communicated with each other patiently and also respected each other’s wishes. You are not living in your own room or with your family anymore. You are about to move in with a complete stranger and whether or not it’s a good experience is partially in your hands and up to your attitude. You have to be accountable for what you can control, and that goes for the rest of college and life honestly. Also, take advantage of ‘Please Don’t Snore.’ Be as honest as you can and try to find someone you think you could be compatible with. Save yourself the headache of mid-semester drama and get as much together now as you can.”

Farrin Khan: “Actually use your meal plan. From my perspective, while the food may be mediocre at best, you are paying around $5,000 per year, so try to take advantage of the meal plan. I barely used my 14 meals a week, and now that the year is closing, I’ve found myself thinking of calculating the amount of money that I’ve let go to waste as a consequence of my reluctance to consume dorm food. So don’t be like me.”